By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lou

Here is a list of all the postings Lou has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: wadding for tea cosies
07/06/2010 16:19:01
hello!

does any one know if i can use regular polyester wadding in items such as tea cosies and pot holders or does it have to be heat/fire proof wadding?  and if it does, where do i get it from!

lou
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thread: sew magazine
02/06/2010 21:13:50
hello

have any of you heard of SEW magazine? Does anyone know if its any good etc?

i've been asked to advertise in a special feature but its £150 and i need to make it will be worth it!!!

lou
xxx
Thread: to quilt course or not to quilt course....that IS the question!!
02/06/2010 21:10:16
hi girls

hope you are all ok?

I'm looking into doing the city and guilds course in patchwork, mainly because i want to learn as much as i can about patchwork, how to design quilts, use colours etc.  But, would i be better off doing something like the round robin featured in PP every month? I would be learning something new every month and hopefully would learn everything i need to know along the way? And maybe i could put photo's on here of my work for you all to critique.......as you are all far more experienced than me!!

so, what do you think?

lou
xxxx

PS - what's the difference between a round robin and a journal quilt?
Thread: CITY AND GUILDS COURSES
26/04/2010 12:06:26
Hello Girls

Its been so long since i've posted on here, but life's got in the way!

I've been patchworking for well over a year now and i have a little online shop which is doing well but i don't seem to have 'found my style' yet, everythings a  bit of a mish mash.  I think partly its because i dont know how to do many of the techniques and i have lots of ideas in my head, but have no idea how to translate them into patchwork!!

I'm looking into doing the city and guilds stitched textiles course,with the patchwork element and i wondered if anyone had done the course and how you got on?

it will be an investment so i want to make sure i'm doing the right thing!

hope you are all well

Lou
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thread: Let's Swap 2010
19/03/2010 22:31:25
hi girls

i've been a bit confused lately as i've been waiting for my black and white blocks to arrive.  i posted mine to tess such a long time ago.

i've just popped on here and you all seem to have had yours but i've had nothing.................did mine get lost?

i'm wondering if somethings gone wrong, but i'm sure tessa would've shouted at me by now - i know i was a little late getting the fabric to her. ( i blame my daughter!)

anyway, i think i've missed out on this one, but all of your work looks fab.

hope to hear from someone soon

Lou
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thread: Baby Memory Quilt
04/02/2010 18:16:26

thanks helen

i came up with the idea last year and after advertising it in my online shop, i've just completed the first order.

it seems to be a popular idea so hopefully i'll get lots more orders!

Lou

xxxxxxxxxx

04/02/2010 11:45:02
I make quilts using baby's first clothes.

This is my first one!  And the squares almost line up!!!

Edited By louise a'barrow on 04/02/2010 11:45:37

Thread: Let's Swap 2010
02/02/2010 13:24:16
that sounds great.

i will do it this week as my memory is like a sieve and if i don't do it now i'll forget!!

thanks for letting me in.

lou
xxxxxxx
02/02/2010 13:13:52

hi tessa

if its not too late, i'd like to join in?

don't worry if it is too late.

let me know what i need to get

Lou

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

02/02/2010 12:18:49
am i too late to join the friendship swap?

i've  not done one before but i'd like to get involved if not too late?

Lou
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thread: Chat
02/02/2010 12:16:48
hello!

i'm going to attempt sunbonnet sue this week! i've got the pattern, any tips on how i turn the edges under before appliqueing?!

Lou
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thread: Quilts for Haiti
29/01/2010 17:14:04
hello all

i didn't expect to start world war 3 over this. It was just an idea!!

i do agree that we should do more on our own doorstep.  Someone mentioned headley court? my husband has been treated there and i support them and help for heroes when i can.

i wont send any quilts to haiti!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
27/01/2010 23:24:46
Hello

i'm wondering if anyone can help.

I'm looking into starting an appeal for quilts to send to children in haiti.  I've looked on the internet and i can't seem to find anything of this nature already started. Does any one know if it has?

If not, would any one be interested in donating a quilt and also spreading the word to your quilt groups etc?

I'm currently trying to establish a way to get the quilts out to haiti, should the appeal go ahead.

any advice or suggestions would be great,

looking forward to hearing from you all

Lou
xxxxx
Thread: Is it snowing where you are?
10/01/2010 21:04:54
hey

we have lots of snow down here in somerset.  it is starting to thaw though but apparently we're due for some more on tuesday/wednesday.

my dog and daughter will be happy but i'm not as the buses aren't running and i cant get to the quilt shop!!!!

keep warm
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thread: why won't my squares line up!
10/01/2010 20:48:29
hi

i've spent today making a quilt top.  i've used 6 inch squares but they don't line up! 
is it because i sew the squares in to row's and then sew them all together? should i sew them into blocks of 4 first?

every time i make a quilt using squares, this happens!

is it just my inexperience?!!

Lou
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thread: rotary cutter injuries!
08/01/2010 16:16:02
hi

my finger is getting better and i've jumped back on the horse and cut some more material!

thanks for all your sympathy. i dont like the sound of getting my finger stuck in the sewing machine tho! ouch!!!!

i've just put a new thread in technical questions regarding block size, if anyone can help.

thanks again and stay safe......and warm!!

lou
xxxx
Thread: block size
08/01/2010 16:13:25
hello

i'm making a quilt, that needs to be about 42" x 54"ish.

Initially i was going to use 6" blocks to make up the quilt, but now i'm considering using 7" blocks instead?

is using 7" blocks against 'patchwork rules' or does it not really matter?  will i encounter any problems using blocks of this size?

look forward to your replies!

Lou
xxxx
Thread: rotary cutter injuries!
04/01/2010 16:46:53
OUCH!!

i've just learnt a valuable lesson - never to cut fabric on the floor!! 

i was cutting some squares when my rotary cutter slipped and has sliced half of my finger off!  i don't think it needs stitches but its a nice chunk of skin!!!

it hurts, a lot.................but i wont do that again!  no more patchwork for me today!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thread: Chat
04/01/2010 11:26:24
would any one like to have my daughter for about 6 weeks so i can do some patchwork!!!

xxxx
Thread: Not-so-secret Santa Swap
20/12/2009 16:07:17
i received my secret santa yesterday and yes i opened it!! its beautiful and someone must've put a lot of effort in to it so whoever you are, thank you very much.

i've posted mine so hopefully it arrives before the big day!!!

Thank you!

Lou
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues

Shopping Partners