By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Margaret S

Here is a list of all the postings Margaret S has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Festival of Quilts 2019
16/07/2019 14:36:35

Well done Rosemary. Hope they display it well.

Is it too much trouble for you to raffle it? After all your hard work we should try and raise some money for a charity from it.

Margaret

Thread: Show and Tell 2019
16/07/2019 14:32:11

Well done, Eileen. By my standards, it is huge! Cold spell coming, as you predicted!

Margaret

Thread: Oh to be able to use colour
16/07/2019 14:28:36

That is beautiful, Eileen. I am sure that your daughter will love it. Will it be a cat free zone, other than the decoration?

Margaret

11/07/2019 09:50:53

This UFO has sat in a chest of drawers since 2007! It is a Susan Briscoe design for PP. I made the blocks as each of the 3 installments of the magazine was published and I started the QAYG, realised how much work was required and lost interest back in 2007.

I thought it would be a good idea to use charm squares on the back, all 256 different fabrics! I had been given a load, probably by Janet McElroy, and added some of my own. I used them as they came and chose not to trim them all to the same size. Hand sewing down the joining strips took forever!

Took a month to complete this UFO.

Margaret

2007 UFO Susan Briscoe Log Cabin PP magazine

Back of 2007 UFO

11/07/2019 08:44:04

Eileen, I was thinking of you last night. I took some african fabric scraps to my quilt group's final meeting. A friend's daughter has requested an African style quilt as a wedding present and fabric was being collected for it. Now all changed - daughter says African means grey, yellow and cream with grey elephants!

Margaret

Thread: Festival of Quilts 2019
11/07/2019 08:37:54

Well done Rosemary. In this heat that is some achievement! Now I like sewing in ends as I find it quite restful. I either do it as I go along or leave it all to the end. Yesterday I was sewing in after each block was quilted. Mind you, I have only liked sewing in ends since I discovered self-threading needles. So much quicker!

Margaret

03/07/2019 15:40:39

That's lovely Eileen. Really unique and a wonderful gift. If my google translator is correct, it is a good motto too. I do admire your meticulous planning as that part of my brain seems to be sadly lacking.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 03/07/2019 15:43:35

03/07/2019 15:36:23

Eileen, love the top. It reminds me of floor tiles. Love the scrappy back too. Coming on well.

Margaret

Thread: Chat
03/07/2019 15:33:39

Went into Oxford for my monthly visit yesterday and they actually had the latest P&Q. Loved the giraffe, have an idea for that, and I love the Log Cabin. Bought the magazine, and it was a good read too.

Margaret

28/06/2019 13:19:31

Brenda

I love looking at Laura Heine's intricate designs, but her patterns are very expensive here.

Both your cushions and sewing machine collage are great. I bet that workshop was fun!

Margaret

28/06/2019 13:15:27

Thank you Eileen. Enjoy making the scrappy backing. (Much hilarity when our chairwoman, in her end if year review, accidently dropped the 's' when describing a demo given by one of our members!)

No, Rosemary, I was tempted by Maggi's threads, but I am not really a hand sewer.

Margaret

22/06/2019 11:12:09

Just finished this one and call it 'Memories of Maggi'. Used my collection of Maggi Birchenough's hand dyes. Colours are more subtle in the flesh. Maggi was a modern quilter, but I wanted to let her fabrics shine so chose this simple pattern. This free pattern is 'Scrappy Squares' by Moda and is assembled in a completely different way to my ancient UFO above.

Margaret

Memories of Maggi using Maggi Birchenoughs hand dies.

Back

Back of Memories of Maggi

Edited By Margaret S on 22/06/2019 11:17:34

Edited By Margaret S on 22/06/2019 11:19:30

22/06/2019 10:59:42

An ancient UFO zapped in March. I am told it is at least 10 years old. I can see from my albums that I was working on it in 2013. Then it was left again. Quilted in 3 pieces and was very difficult to get through the arm of the machine I had at that time. A breeze to finally finish on my bigger machine.

Margaret

Front

20190622_104210.jpg

Back

20190622_104325.jpg

09/06/2019 11:46:44

Well done Jayne. That is a beautiful quilt and a lot of work in such a short timescale.There are times when the OH is not always endearing, but at least your's can feed himself! I hope he cooked for you too.

I have admired that pattern for some time. I really like the Jordan Fabric videos.

Back in the dark ages I had an autograph book and my dad signed it ' Hip to be square. Margaret's dad'! At the time this was quite a modern quote for my dad!

Margaret

29/05/2019 17:08:43

I love black and grey, though not so keen on brown. There are many shades of all 3 colours. Black can be almost blue or green. Grey can have a pinkish shade. Brown can be on the orange/red side. Oakshott fabrics have a wonderful shot effect. Of course, I am talking plains, but you can cheat with patterned fabric too!

I'm sure what ever you choose will be wonderful.

(I am working on a very old UFO and I'm not sure if I really like it, because it is not very bright!!!)

Margaret

29/05/2019 16:59:16

Thank you Eileen for your kind comment. It's reverse applique. Layers of organza with the top layers cut away to reveal the layers underneath.

Margaret

24/05/2019 10:06:04

Last Saturday went on a Kathleen Laurel Sage workshop and made this 'Machine Embroidered and Soldered Floral Panel.' Kathleen is a brilliant tutor and made those of us who were way out of our comfort zone feel much more confident to have a go.

My sewing kit now includes a soldering iron! I'm inspired to have a go at making more of these.

Margaret

Kathleen Laurel Sage workshop

Thread: Chat
20/05/2019 10:19:17

Joanna

It is still visible on my phone.

I go to the Home Page, click on p&q facebook, then scroll down to related pages and see the one Paddy, Murphy and Mick - Irish jokes!

Margaret

19/05/2019 22:43:43

Home page. Facebook and drop down to Related pages - Paddy, Murphy, Mick.

(You need good eyesight on the phone.)

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 19/05/2019 22:44:19

19/05/2019 20:27:02

I am not on Facebook, but looked at the link on the homepage.

Do you think anyone from the magazine monitors it? How long has the obscenity been there?

Margaret

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues