By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Margaret S

Here is a list of all the postings Margaret S has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Show and Tell 2020
01/05/2020 18:08:02

I am no embroiderer, but this is my version of Bee Brave designed by Gail Pan and recommended by Rosemary. I used what I had to hand and the camera has distorted the blues. Just got the hanging sleeve to put on the back.

Margaret

Bee Brave mini quilt-embroidery design by Gail Pan

Thread: Stay at home retreat....will you join me?
29/04/2020 11:26:42

Wow, you and your friend have been busy, Rosemary. Well done to both of you. Love the mug rugs, embroidery, hares and the proposed quilt. Are the hares an original design, or is there a pattern available?

Margaret

29/04/2020 11:21:55

Our mystery quilt is a lockdown project intended to make us feel that we are all quilting together. 19 of us have joined and it seems that we are going to get weekly instructions, so I have no idea of the time scale or finished size of the quilt, but the blocks are 4.5" finished. We were told that the blocks would be simple but the fun would come at the end as there are no final layout instructions, so every quilt would be different.

Margaret

28/04/2020 14:16:38

It turns out that Eileen and I are doing the same 'Mystery Quilt' with our groups. Here are my blocks from Part 1.

Margaret

Mystery Quilt - part 1

I always find fabric choices hard for 'Mystery Quilts'. I always remember my first solid fabric quilt choices. That one ended up as dog bedding!

28/04/2020 14:10:15

Quilt zapped. Binding on. I was going to use the mauve dandelion seed fabric for binding, but the quilt said no, so I found this green with purple flecks in my stash.

Margaret

Stay at home retreat-binding on

Edited By Margaret S on 28/04/2020 14:10:40

Thread: Hand quilting or Big Stitch quilting
27/04/2020 09:45:52

Hi Steph

Like you, I prefer to quilt by machine. For hand quilting I have never used a frame as I can't get on with the rocking movement needed to stitch and I do not pull too tight or distort the fabric. I do like big stitch, as I find it restful. You do need a thicker thread. I use coton perle #8, which means you need hand sewing needles with a larger eye.

Margaret

26/04/2020 17:21:30

First photo-practice samples. Ignore the pebbles as they are from another quilt practiceStay at home retreat-test samples fmq with rulers

Front of quilt. Using green thread on green fabric covers a multitude of sins! Hopefully will bind tomorrow.

Stay at home retreat-clam shell borders by fmq with rulers

Back of quilt showing the clam shell fmq with rulers.

Stay at home retreat-back of quilt showing clam shell fmq with rulers

Margaret

26/04/2020 17:08:44

Lovely work everyone.

Sylvia, the masks are not meant to be reversible. It helps the wearer know which is the germ free side.

Rosemary, how about a fan in the gap. I'd even say Sashiko, but that's going over the top!

Spent the last 2 days trying to get to grips with fmq with rulers. I am a complete novice and I have found that the Angela Walters' rulers from Creative Grids produce sophisticated designs but I have got on better with the ones from Aly's Stitchy Fingers. Still haven't mastered even stitch length and it is much easier using Hobbs 80/20 rather than Hobbs polyester, but my quilt is polyester wadding. Need to practice much more!

Need to put photos in album.

Margaret

24/04/2020 14:37:27

Love the mouse's tail and the colouring and embroidery on the wall hanging.

Looking forward to seeing the kimonos grow.

Eileen, one of our group is organising a lockdown mystery quilt. I got the first instructions today for 2 blocks - a plain square and 2 colour placements of rail fence. Sound familiar? Does your quilt use 6 fqs and about 1 1/2 to 2 metres of background?

Garden is calling so here is today's effort. Done the centre quilting on my lap quilt and photo shows the back. Have pùt the Pfaff away and set up The Beast ready to try fmq with rulers tomorrow.

Margaret

Stay at home retreat-day 2 back of centre quilting

Stay at home retreat-day 2 The Beast set up for fmq with rulers

23/04/2020 16:39:16

That's lovely Rosemary. Thanks for the pattern. I will try by machine too.

Day 1 - I had planned to have this little lap quilt ready so that I could practice fmq with rulers on the borders, but I only had 1 day free last week to make the centre. I have added the borders today and it is now sandwiched ready for some walking foot quilting on the centre.

Margaret

Getting ready-

Stay at home retreat-getting ready

Day 1- Borders added

Stay at home retreat-day 1 attaching borders

Thread: Chat
21/04/2020 12:36:42

Something that brought joy to my heart this morning - it's getting difficult to social distance when walking the dogs in the fields as there are so many dogs, walkers, runners and joggers that have suddenly appeared. I took avoiding action and went into a meadow that I have not been in before and there were drifts of cowslips. It took me right back to my childhood.

Margaret

Thread: UFOs completed in time of "plague"(sorry I couldn't think of a better word!)
16/04/2020 11:56:58

Last year I was given a bag of blocks, some single and some joined in rows. I was asked if I would make them into a quilt and give it to charity. I said that I would on the understanding that they would be assembled as I saw fit. It was very liberating to join them whilst adding a few extra blocks and some fillers. However, I have hated doing the quilting and it has taken me ages to get the will to complete it. Love the finished quilt though. The backing fabric is from my stash.

Margaret

Charity Quilt NOT ALL MY WORK

15/04/2020 09:32:23

During the lockdown, what is the oldest thing that you have found in your larder/food cupboard? I have found some 2014 cat biscuits. The cat died 9 1/2 years ago, so I must have bought these to see if the hedgehogs that used to visit would like them. Dh gets fads on breakfast cereals and there were 2 part bags of porridge oats 2014 and 2018. Conversely, today I found the remains of a current one in the bin because it is too watery!

I've also found some really old prescription meds. I thought that I regularly went through checking dates!

Margaret

15/04/2020 09:22:59

Lovely, Steph. I was wondering how you were getting on with your new machine and I can see that you are having fun.

A number of us have Janome machines and like them.

Margaret

11/04/2020 20:52:39

Will try and pop in and out, Rosemary. Was meant to have a dental appointment on 23rd but we are self isolating and the dentist is closed for all but emergencies so I am free.

Could use the time to try out my new toys. I was watching for free on Blueprint, Angela Walters doing fmq with rulers. Now I've bought some of her rulers from Creative Grids. The beast, my Janome Horizon, has a convertible darning foot so I ordered a ruler fmq foot for it and it arrived today. Now I need to see if I can crack it.

Margaret

Thread: UFOs completed in time of "plague"(sorry I couldn't think of a better word!)
07/04/2020 14:31:47

Finished my Round Robin Mystery Quilt. I asked for modern and abstract. I am thrilled with the result. It glows. My only expense during all the rounds was black wadding for my own quilt. Lost my mojo a little bit then 'lock down' concentrated my mind to get it finished.

It has a variety of quilting and thanks to some Youtube videos I taught myself how to do fmq pebbles. It's 45" square and the outer border is not quite as mauve as the camera says.

Round Robin Mystery quilt zapped

My usual quiet backing!

Back of Round Robin Mystery Quilt

Margaret

07/04/2020 14:16:37

2 lovely quilts, Rosemary. It is going to be a lucky charity that receives them.

Lovely cushion, Sylvia, and a striking design. All those bias edges! Did you starch first?

Margaret

07/04/2020 14:09:14

I am not a toy maker so I envy your skill Rosemary. Beautiful. Are they keepers?

My mum made lovely jointed teddybears but sadly I did not inherit that gene.

Margaret

07/04/2020 14:04:52

So sorry for you Eileen. Why is it that things always go wrong at the most difficult times? Hope you soon manage to get it fixed and those woodworm get their come upance pdq! It's nice having floorboards, but I think those with solid floors don't have as many problems.

Winnie, may your washing machine continue to behave. The modern ones are so heavy and mine is not quite in the right place, but there is no way we have the strength to move it. Luckily it lives in the conservatory.

Stay safe everyone.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 07/04/2020 14:06:08

30/03/2020 22:18:23

So sorry for you Steph. I know that a lot of the Pfaff qe 4.0 were problematic. I've got the Pfaff qe 4.2 and it regularly has it's little go at thread getting caught round the thread cutting arm and breaking when it considers there is lint about, but I know how to strip it down and sort it. I love Pfaff but they are not made as well as they were.

I have been using 'The Beast', Janome Horizon 7700, to fmq for the last couple of days, and although it is not my favourite machine it has done everything that I asked of it.

Janome seem to be fairly reliable. Don't know anything about the Atelier, but if you are planning on doing fmq please read the reviews before you buy. The Pfaff 4.0 got terrible reviews.

Good luck.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 30/03/2020 22:18:55

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
The Cotton Patch
ECT
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues