By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Margaret S

Here is a list of all the postings Margaret S has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hello + newbie question! :)
02/06/2018 10:01:14
Hi Gabriel,

Google - what tax can I claim from working at home?

For example you can claim for some of your home running costs. Unless you are very fortunate, I would have thought that after all your true costs are deducted, your profits would not be huge.

Good luck with your business.

Margaret

Thread: Chat
29/05/2018 19:29:54
Forgot to say, I have been quilting too. I have quilted, by machine, the last two borders on a late quilter friend's UFO. This quilt is 8ft square! I had just finished the last border when I noticed 4 small holes in the fabric! It was either rotten or had been made in manufacture. The fabric looks as if it was from the 1990s. I had one tiny piece left from squaring up so I had to do tiny patches on 2 of the holes and I managed to hide the other 2 in the binding.

I am now back to doing things for me at last. Had a fun workshop on the royal wedding day - using your scraps. Still got loads left!

Enjoy the company of your daughter Eileen.

Still raining here.

Margaret
29/05/2018 16:14:25
Well, I finally managed to make the 6 mile journey to get the final issue of PP. Seems a shame that it has closed. Congratulations on your quilt design Rosemary. We seem to be well represented in the magazine!

Do you remember Lexy? She has a modern tablerunner design in Quilt Now. Quite a few former Forum members appear in other magazines.

Oxford was full of Japanese and Chinese tourists. It wasn't raining this morning but it is bucketing down now. Hope the weather is kinder to you.

Margaret
24/05/2018 22:51:36
Pam, so glad to see that you are back home again. Take as much rest as you can. Hope to have you back sewing soon.

Margaret x
18/05/2018 14:05:26
Beth, many thanks for the prize that arrived today after having a letter on the PP June Show and Tell page.

Margaret
Thread: Block challenge (non swap)
17/05/2018 15:02:52
That's pretty Sylvia. Well done.

Margaret
Thread: Show and Tell 2018
17/05/2018 15:01:25
Congratulations on being a multi prize winner, Sylvia. It's funny how often that judges don't see things the way that you do.

Margaret
17/05/2018 14:58:49
Thinking of you Pam and sending lots of virtual hugs. I expect that you will have to take it easy for a while, so hope that you will be able to do some light crafting whilst you recover.

Take care.

Margaret x
Thread: Popular Patchwork Announcement
08/05/2018 10:21:56
Thank you Joanna for taking the time to give such a detailed reply.

I no longer have subscriptions to either magazine. For me PP lost it's way, and, this is not a negative criticism, P&Q is too traditional and not always challenging enough for me. I have 3 subscriptions for newer magazines but I am dropping one as it is aimed at beginners but it had an incredibly cheap subscription deal! Hint!

I understand the reasoning for using a particular manufacturer and their patterns. I must admit that I have never bought the fabric mentioned for a design and I usually tweak the designs too. It doesn't bother me. I do have two annoyances - firstly that so many quilts are so big and it takes me time to do the maths to reduce them and secondly when there are a number of items by the same designer in one magazine, particularly if you don't like that designer's style!

Designers that I like - Stuart Hillard, Katherine Guerrier, Jo Avery, Lynne Goldsworthy, Victoria Findlay Wolfe.

I also love my Sizzix.

Good luck with taking us lot into your fold. I hope that we behave!

Margaret
03/05/2018 12:44:41
Very sad news, but not entirely unexpected. When the magazine is no longer stocked in your local shops it does not look positive. Though I thought I could see some new green shoots appearing under your leadership Emma.

I haven't subscribed to PP for some time and it must be over 10 years for P&Q. As for the Forum, we can only hope. It has been a big part of my life for the last 9 years.

Your tenure may have been very short, but thanks for all you have done for us Emma.

Margaret
Thread: March challenge
03/05/2018 12:35:08
Congratulations Brenda. I liked your fun birdies too.

Thanks for organising the competitions Emma.

Margaret
01/05/2018 09:02:58

Hope you were all out singing in the dawn this May morning!

The May block is foundation paper piecing.

Birdhouses from www.quilterscache.com

You could just make one birdhouse, or change it to a beach hut, or add a chimney, windows and door for a house.

Remember to use a smaller machine stitch to make tearing the paper easier.

Margaret

Block Challenge (non swap)-May

Edited By Margaret S on 01/05/2018 09:04:07

30/04/2018 18:27:00
Take care Pam and get some slow sewing ready for when you are stronger post op.

Cautionary tale - last week car came back from major dealership after it's annual service and MOT,not too clean and with a 9cm crack in the windscreen! Took it back to day. Needless to say they will not accept responsibility for windscreen but gave car a courtesy wash - with the doors open! Offered to dry the carpets. You can guess what I said!

Margaret
Thread: March challenge
30/04/2018 08:57:44

My final block. The birds are coming into my garden and looking for nesting sites.

March Challenge-Spring is in the air

Rosemary, you can have this block for Linus, if you would like it? If you can wait, I can make you some simple Spring blocks. I have just run out of time.

Margaret

25/04/2018 09:03:14

Here is my Paths and Stiles block. I didn't know it's name but I made a 9" version, using Japanese fabrics, for a PP swap in 2012 and really liked it.

Margaret

Block Challenge (non swap)-April

Thread: PP Birthday Club 2018
08/04/2018 13:11:03
What a lovely selection Fiona. It's amazing how much grey we have in our stashes.

Margaret
08/04/2018 13:08:23
Dh had a bit of a surprise this morning. He went to our nearest bottle bank and as he drove into the pub carpark he encountered a number of people in their underwear! They were kayakers changing out of their waterproof clothing, thinking that they wouldn't be seen from the road behind their open car doors.

Margaret
06/04/2018 10:44:58

My Snowball block for March. Had to be a bit creative to fit in with my 'critter' theme. The strip came from some scraps that 'Nutty Net' gave me years ago. Can you spot the fabric designer's error?

Margaret

Block Challenge (non swap)-March

Thread: Show and Tell 2018
05/04/2018 09:02:11

Letia

Love your projects in your album. Well done. You need to post them here so we all can see.

Margaret

Thread: PP Birthday Club 2018
05/04/2018 08:57:07

Happy Birthday Fiona. Hope you have a great day.

It's lovely and sunny here, drying up some of the flood water, so hope it is the same for you.

Margaret x rose

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues