By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Margaret S

Here is a list of all the postings Margaret S has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Show and Tell 2018
02/08/2018 15:08:53
Thank you Rosemary, Pam and Eileen.

Eileen,no.I moved the needle hard across to the right and used the edge of my walking foot on my Pfaff as a guide to go round in circles. I could have used the quilting guide bar but I find this tends to bounce off. If I'd used my Janome Horizon I could have had the lines 3/4" apart.

You need a machine with a wider space to the right of the needle and it is one of the most boring jobs in the world! I did a bobbin's worth of thread at a time and it took me about 4 1/2 hours in total.

Margaret
01/08/2018 11:01:16

We had a bag making Saturday where we each turned up with our own bag pattern. This one came from an American quilt magazine circa 2014. The others thought it funny seeing me fighting with pattern pieces 42'' x 15". Tie across top.

Bag making Saturday Workshoo

We had a scrap busting Saturday Workshop. I played around with my Creative Grids 60 degree triangle ruler and came up with this. Piece of 1990's fabric on the back.

Margaret

Scrap busting Saturday Workshop

Scrap busting quilt backed with 1990s fabric.

31/07/2018 13:35:01

Love the masculine Linus quilt, Eileen. Someone is going to be very happy.

Thought I had better start putting up photos of what I have been doing this year. Here are the first 2.

Jenny died in 2016 and this 7ft sandwiched quilt was found in her stash. We quilted it for her family. I machine quilted the last 2 borders and bound it. Had just finished the quilting when I found 4 small holes - 1990's material. I hid 2 in the binding and the other 2 had to be patched.

Quilted by Jennys friends

The next photo is what I am working on now, using up my scraps. 19 rings and I have just completed 6th ring!

W.I.P Cassini Quilt

Margaret

Thread: Lend with care
31/07/2018 12:40:42
Hi Rosemary

See we are both supporting the same lady in Ecuador.

Seems a very worthwhile investment.

Margaret
23/07/2018 09:26:47
Wow, Rosemary. Love your heavy machinery quilt. Wish I had children to quilt for. Someone is going to be very lucky to get that quilt. Love the grown up girly quilt too.
I always imagined you living in a quaint thatched cottage! Very interesting block. Is your house an old school or chapel? Will enjoy following the progress of this one.

Well done.

Margaret
Thread: Chat
12/07/2018 22:53:58
Trump's just left Blenheim. One of the Ospreys looked impressive with it's rotors shining against the night sky as it flew over us.

Margaret
12/07/2018 20:04:54
Well, Trump's entourage flew noisily over our garden at 7.30ish. They did a dummy run on Monday. Seems he has come by car.

Not impressed that his arrival has shut down our local airspace since the afternoon, or the huge amount of police that have had to be deployed.

Margaret
Thread: Using EQ(5)
12/07/2018 10:01:10
Does Alison use EQ? If you have her contact details, maybe she can help.

Margaret
11/07/2018 22:09:56
Sorry Rosemary, I can't help you.

Did see that default options are snap to grid and snap to node but there should be an option to snap to drawing, but no idea if that means anything to you.

Margaret
04/07/2018 13:34:15
Love your swaps Rosemary,especially your bare trees.

Margaret
Thread: king sized bed quilt to make
04/07/2018 13:31:21
Eileen, I admire your orderliness in planning your design. I tend to use the back of an envelope method and jot the maths along side! It still looks a lot of work.

Lovely quilt Sylvia. I had forgotten about that one.

A friend's Aspergers son told her at the beginning of June that he wanted her to make a wedding quilt for his best friend. The wedding is very soon in July! She told him to forget his complicated design ideas and that he would get what she could do in the timescale. She has gone for a disappearing nine patch in whites. I had my doubts but the pure whites, white on whites, whites and pale grey have turned out very sophisticated.

Margaret
02/07/2018 19:29:22
Really lovely Eileen. Colours remind me of all the lavenders in my garden.

Just noticed - is it sprigs of lavender on one of the fabrics?

Margaret
02/07/2018 19:23:59
Hi Pam

Personal opinion - I would put this in the same category as the pattern I saw recently for flower pot covers - bonkers!

Three problems that I can think of - first, if you don't cover the whole paintwork you will get discolouration of the paint, second, if you have plants and make a mistake in watering it will cause problems, third, if you have curtains you could pull the whole lot off the windowsill if you energetically pull the curtains.

That's my 2 penny's worth.

Margaret
Thread: king sized bed quilt to make
02/07/2018 19:15:42
Hi Eileen

My kingsize bed is 5ft wide by 7ft long. Hope that helps. Must admit that I tend to do 5ft square to sit on the top.

In the time scale you have I would keep it simple. Presume you will be machine quilting, or do you plan on sending it out?

Good luck.

Margaret
28/06/2018 09:51:44
Wow, you have been busy. Welcome back Claire and lovely stitchery. Congrats Rosemary on your fund raising quilt. Hope a 'girly' person won it. Love the wall hanging Pam. Looks like an Anja Townrow? Baby quilts are so difficult to give at the moment. Hope your lovely 'play mat' is appreciated Sylvia.

I really must get down to taking some photos and posting them here. I have been quilting, honest!

Margaret
28/06/2018 09:44:15
The heat makes me ill and it has been too hot for me to take the dogs out for an afternoon walk. The other day DH was delicately trying to tell a quilter friend that I had taken an afternoon siesta.

As we face north, I have been in the front room sewing as it is so much cooler. I am working on 'Woven Rainbow Quilt' by Carolyn Forster in Todays Quilter. This design has been very popular with my afternoon group.

Hope you all are not too heat exhausted.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 28/06/2018 09:54:21

11/06/2018 23:29:07
Rosemary
That is about an average cost. Did he tell you what he had supposedly fixed? Do you think you have knocked the timing out? Have you pushed the bobbin winder fully back after filling the bobbin? Mine was beeping away at me the other day because I hadn't pushed it fully back after winding a bobbin, so it refused to sew.

Margaret
11/06/2018 16:15:33
So sorry Rosemary. I don't know why so many machines come back no better than when they went away and often after an annual service they are worse!

I suspect that many of the 'engineers' are not as expert as we are led to believe they are.

I hope that you can get it fixed soon and some money back! What exactly has gone wrong with it?

Margaret
07/06/2018 15:39:09
Hi Rosemary

Never! I had one serviced about 30 years ago when I knocked the timing out. I have seen what the local man does and was appalled. One way to loose ?60!

I regularly defluff the bobbin area, change the needle and am very careful not to hit pins, and as my machines do not need oiling that is it. I tend to wear my machines out beyond repair.

Margaret

Thread: Block challenge (non swap)
04/06/2018 07:55:21
Thanks Sue.I have the book. I was doing the maths this morning and if I want to make 4 blocks to make one 12" finished unit then I will need 1 7/10" wide strips! We will see!

Margaret P.S. Can't see the problem about sewing. That looks quite tidy to me!

Edited By Margaret S on 04/06/2018 07:57:46

Edited By Margaret S on 04/06/2018 07:58:18

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues