By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Margaret S

Here is a list of all the postings Margaret S has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Christmas Challenge....make a Christmas stocking for charity.
22/12/2018 19:28:34

3,4,1 are my choices.

I found it very difficult to choose. Well done everyone.

Margaret

Thread: Show and Tell 2018
19/12/2018 13:48:55
Don't do 'in the ditch' down the steps as it would ruin the look of the waves. I would be inclined to diagonally follow the waves.

I presume that you meant Jan's quilting was 5cm not 5mm? That spacing would be about right.

Do you hand quilt? That gives a much softer definition and I actually prefer it.

I think the hardest part of Bargello is deciding how to quilt it. I have to hold my breath and then go for it!

Margaret

Thread: PP Birthday Club 2018
19/12/2018 13:40:36
Squishie posted today. Polka dot envelope.

Margaret
18/12/2018 20:16:45
I've been waiting to see this one. Gorgeous, Eileen. Well done.

Now I love black, but not solid these days. As you don't, how about very dark blue or one of your other dark accent colours?

Usual to quilt not too heavily and following the waves, or go up some of the vertical seams, but I think the later would spoil this top.

Margaret
Thread: Christmas Greetings
16/12/2018 14:22:45

Merry Christmas to all

Best wishes to all for a Happy New Year.

Margaret

Thread: Chat
12/12/2018 09:27:53

Charity shop find - Cot quilt made with all Australian cottons and with wool wadding. Complete with label. Made as a gift in 2011 and has been hardly used. Priced at £2, I couldn't leave it languishing there!

Margaret

Charity shop find-cot quilted dated 2011

12/12/2018 09:17:27
Well done all you Craft Fair ladies.
Jayne, I think having small items is the right way to go. You have put a lot of work into them.
Margaret
10/12/2018 15:13:53

Are wholesalers doing their best to stop us buying quilting magazines?

Before the demise of PP, it was no longer stocked in our village. P&Q is equally difficult to find. Not seen it in Oxford for over 2 months. I've just managed to find a copy of Love Patchwork & Quilting. Modern Quilting has just been stopped by it's publishers in USA, and the comments there were that people couldn't find it in the shops.

Now if I wanted a crochet, sewing or knitting magazine, it is a different story. Maybe all the Quilting magazines sell out super fast, but we don't all want subscriptions.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 10/12/2018 15:14:49

10/12/2018 15:02:26

Can't answer your question Rosemary, except that there was a Craft Fayre in Broad Street, Oxford today. Pretty Christmas stalls and plenty of people, but they were buying food, ( speciality jams & curds, cheeses, booze and food to eat on the spot), and things from a wild bird stall. They were not buying the gifty items. Must admit that I looked but nothing tempted me to buy.

Margaret

30/11/2018 10:45:41
Thank you for your kind comments.

An unusual construction as the outer edges are not enclosed on the back. Basically, the plait has a base of backing, wadding and a piece of vilene, or similar, and the applique shapes are fused to the vilene, then zig zag stitched around the outer edge. Normal stained glass technique using fusible bias binding machined in place.(QAYG) Then comes the tricky part - trim all round the outer shape as close as possible to the edge of the binding. Thank goodness for my Karen Kay Buckley scissors. Quite quick in the end.

Margaret
Thread: Chat
28/11/2018 14:20:21

Thanks for the description, Winnie.

Mine arrived today, labelled on the customs form as 'bath mats'!!! Reason for getting them from China - Secret Santa budget set at a miserly £2, as 'it makes us put our thinking caps on.'! One for me and one for Santa.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 28/11/2018 14:21:48

26/11/2018 15:03:02

Hi Rosemary

I have got a couple of those on order, although I think they are on a slow boat from China, so pleased to hear that they work. Mine cost under £2 each from that well known website, post free. We will see if they are as good as the dearer ones.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 26/11/2018 15:03:52

26/11/2018 14:22:14
Hi Maria

I have the Sizzix Big Shot and the Sizzix Big Shot Plus and love them both. I am not sure that dies come in as large as 6" squares though. I don't often cut squares but they are great for cutting triangles.

Sizzix can also be used for paper craft, etc, whilst the Accuquilt is just for fabric.

Cotton Patch have a good Sizzix information ebook on their website and there are some good priced starter sets about.

If you want any more advice on Sizzix please ask. Buying dies get addictive, and costly. I have a rather large stash of them!

Margaret
26/11/2018 12:49:47

A visitor arrived whilst I was sewing.

Margaret

Sewing room visitor

25/11/2018 09:50:31

I don't usually do much for Christmas, but this year I have made the cushion and now a wall hanging. A number of us at my afternoon group have made/are making Golden Plait by Marilyn Hornby. I believe it was in PP many years ago. Here is my version.

Margaret

Golden Plait. A Marilyn Hornby design.

25/11/2018 09:46:18

Lovely quilt Eileen. Your daughter will feel the love in that one.

Margaret

Thread: Bargello workshops with Jan Hassard
25/11/2018 09:39:57
Lovely strata Eileen. I am sure that you will be pleased that you changed those pinks. Good luck with the classes.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 25/11/2018 09:40:22

18/11/2018 11:04:32
Looks a great bargello quilt Eileen. Are you saying you had to choose 30 fabrics? If so, wow.

Bargello is not difficult if you keep your seams accurate, and keep your maths/logical head on. Concentration is the key.

Enjoy. Looking forward to seeing your progress photos.

Margaret
Thread: Patchwork Calendar 2019
13/11/2018 14:58:22
My calendar has arrived! Thank you Rosemary and forum friends. Love all the photos and the backgrounds.

Margaret
Thread: PP Birthday Club 2018
07/11/2018 17:15:28

Happy Birthday Beryl. Hope that you have had a great day.

Margaret rose

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues