By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Margaret S

Here is a list of all the postings Margaret S has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Show and Tell 2019
22/06/2019 11:12:09

Just finished this one and call it 'Memories of Maggi'. Used my collection of Maggi Birchenough's hand dyes. Colours are more subtle in the flesh. Maggi was a modern quilter, but I wanted to let her fabrics shine so chose this simple pattern. This free pattern is 'Scrappy Squares' by Moda and is assembled in a completely different way to my ancient UFO above.

Margaret

Memories of Maggi using Maggi Birchenoughs hand dies.

Back

Back of Memories of Maggi

Edited By Margaret S on 22/06/2019 11:17:34

Edited By Margaret S on 22/06/2019 11:19:30

22/06/2019 10:59:42

An ancient UFO zapped in March. I am told it is at least 10 years old. I can see from my albums that I was working on it in 2013. Then it was left again. Quilted in 3 pieces and was very difficult to get through the arm of the machine I had at that time. A breeze to finally finish on my bigger machine.

Margaret

Front

20190622_104210.jpg

Back

20190622_104325.jpg

09/06/2019 11:46:44

Well done Jayne. That is a beautiful quilt and a lot of work in such a short timescale.There are times when the OH is not always endearing, but at least your's can feed himself! I hope he cooked for you too.

I have admired that pattern for some time. I really like the Jordan Fabric videos.

Back in the dark ages I had an autograph book and my dad signed it ' Hip to be square. Margaret's dad'! At the time this was quite a modern quote for my dad!

Margaret

Thread: Oh to be able to use colour
29/05/2019 17:08:43

I love black and grey, though not so keen on brown. There are many shades of all 3 colours. Black can be almost blue or green. Grey can have a pinkish shade. Brown can be on the orange/red side. Oakshott fabrics have a wonderful shot effect. Of course, I am talking plains, but you can cheat with patterned fabric too!

I'm sure what ever you choose will be wonderful.

(I am working on a very old UFO and I'm not sure if I really like it, because it is not very bright!!!)

Margaret

29/05/2019 16:59:16

Thank you Eileen for your kind comment. It's reverse applique. Layers of organza with the top layers cut away to reveal the layers underneath.

Margaret

24/05/2019 10:06:04

Last Saturday went on a Kathleen Laurel Sage workshop and made this 'Machine Embroidered and Soldered Floral Panel.' Kathleen is a brilliant tutor and made those of us who were way out of our comfort zone feel much more confident to have a go.

My sewing kit now includes a soldering iron! I'm inspired to have a go at making more of these.

Margaret

Kathleen Laurel Sage workshop

Thread: Chat
20/05/2019 10:19:17

Joanna

It is still visible on my phone.

I go to the Home Page, click on p&q facebook, then scroll down to related pages and see the one Paddy, Murphy and Mick - Irish jokes!

Margaret

19/05/2019 22:43:43

Home page. Facebook and drop down to Related pages - Paddy, Murphy, Mick.

(You need good eyesight on the phone.)

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 19/05/2019 22:44:19

19/05/2019 20:27:02

I am not on Facebook, but looked at the link on the homepage.

Do you think anyone from the magazine monitors it? How long has the obscenity been there?

Margaret

10/05/2019 11:38:48

I'm still sewing too and I really must find the time to photo 2 quilts that I have finished. I've not been well for the last 3 days with some kind of stomache problem, but things seem easier today and I've been sewing this morning - one quilt is still in the assembling and another needs the binding. I've also found a 2007 UFO which will be the next thing to sort out.

With most of our quilting fabric coming from the USA and made in China I am really worried about the extra 15% tax that will be going on fabric. If it goes ahead, maybe time to think of quickly increasing our stashes as fabric is expensive enough already.

Happy quilting.

Margaret

03/04/2019 09:45:00

Well, what did you think of the GBSB 2019? Personally, I found it a bit dull. It was all about who was best under pressure when speed sewing and the result was likely from programme 1. I liked Joe as a presenter. Esme seems obsessed with bows and had lost her edge. I was amazed that the 'experts' had never heard of a 'hong kong seam', although we called it something else when I was young. Don't get me going on the use of pattern weights or rotary cutters!

Don't think that they produced a Stuart Hillard or Charlotte in this run. Slightly disappointed.

Margaret

Thread: Sewing machine for quilting
29/03/2019 12:02:14

Sorry no one has replied Nicole. Don't know why but it took 10 days to appear on my phone, maybe the same for others.

Best to work out what features you are going to need for both dressmaking and quilting and then try before you buy. It's not a case of one machine suiting everybody.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a Singer. I only know 2 quilters with Brother, 1 happy the other not so happy. I have no experience of Juki. Janome have a huge range and I own 2, neither of them being the machines you mention.

Good luck with your search. Sewing machines have got very expensive of late!

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 29/03/2019 12:03:07

29/03/2019 11:50:25

Well done Rosemary. It's huge and wonderful. Hope the quilting goes well for you. Should be much easier with your latest machine.

Margaret

29/03/2019 11:46:13

Talking to a quilter yesterday about the lack of appreciation by some people for our craft. She knows somebody who put a lot of thought, time and effort into making a special quilt for a dear friend. On a later visit to the quilt's recipient she found that the quilt had been cut in half and put in the dogs' beds! Apparently, she is still a friend.......just!

Margaret

24/03/2019 09:40:05

Brenda from Oz features in the Daily Blog of the Quilt Show today. She took part in the International Miniature Quilt Exchange.

Love your OBW, Brenda and also the quilt that you received in exchange.

Margaret

24/03/2019 09:37:03

What a fantastic, unique gift, Brenda. I do love Mola set against black. I'm sure your friend will love it.

Margaret

18/03/2019 19:13:22

Maria, I am sorry that your Crohns is being a swine. I can remember the agony dh used to be in. Now, minus a lot of tubing , his drug regime keeps it mostly under control. I presume that with your other health problems that they cannot give you something so aggressive to fight it, although treatment seems to have altered a lot in the last 35+ years.

Hope it soon calms down for you and gives you some peace, and that the ecg and ct scan go smoothly too.

Margaret x

Edited By Margaret S on 18/03/2019 19:14:10

17/03/2019 20:25:15

Winnie, dh says 'thank you' for your get better wishes.

I admire your dedication to frog-stitch. I would have been tempted to make the pleated back a foundation and put another piece of fabric over it as a new backing!

Margaret

17/03/2019 17:28:37

Well done Rosemary and Eileen.

I have been ill for the past fortnight with a very bad cold. Think I got it at my quilt group. Given it to dh, which is bad news with his Crohns. My energy levels are very low so only managed 1.5 hrs yesterday and the same today doing big stitch hand quilting.

Margaret

17/03/2019 11:36:07

Virus Shawl in Caron Cakes, an aran weight yarn with a 5mm hook. Colours looked less strident on web page. Used 2 balls and had 39" left. Measures approx 77" along top edge and approx 35" deep. However, size is not important as you make it as big as you want to. Chart I used is american terminology whilst instructions are english terminology.

Plan to make it again using a cone of 4ply machine knitting yarn and a 3.5mm hook. You follow the same instructions whatever weight yarn you use.

Virus Shawl

Virus Shawl chart, hook & instructions

Margaret

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
Janome
Crafting Live
Sewing Quarter
Sarik
SewAndSo
Search Press
bredons
C&T publishing
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues