By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Margaret S

Here is a list of all the postings Margaret S has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Show and Tell 2022
03/05/2022 15:47:31

Lovely quilt Eileen. Looking forward to seeing it when it is quilted.

Margaret

Thread: Chat
03/05/2022 15:44:35

Well done Maria. I hope that you are enjoying playing with your new toy.

Margaret

Thread: Help
03/05/2022 15:42:12

Sorry Val, I cannot help. The only person that I know with an overlocker bought her's new.

Maybe, if you know a good shop that sells them ask if they get any second hand ones when someone is upgrading.

Margaret

01/03/2022 09:14:24

Sorry that your main machine has died, Maria. Good luck in your search for a replacement. The apparent price fixing of machines really bugs me, as does the huge mark up for a wider throat. Maybe you will be lucky at Sandwich.

I've nearly finished my Marmite quilt - you've worked on it for nearly 3 weeks, show a photo to a quilter friend and she leaves you in no doubt that she thinks it's horrible!

We've got heat today. The gas boiler made funny noises then stopped working on Sunday afternoon, so we only had the log burner until we were lucky enough to get an engineer in to fix it yesterday afternoon.

Margaret

Thread: Show and Tell 2022
22/02/2022 10:37:22

Hello Kate. I will have made you a block too. My sort of colours, but I can't remember which now. I have some birthday blocks from way back and I must make them into charity quilts rather than letting them languish in my stash.

Eileen, Love the subtle colours of daughter's future MIL quilt.

I am quilting, but nothing to show yet.

Margaret

15/01/2022 13:46:32

I forgot my new toy - the fabric glue pen!

Margaret

15/01/2022 13:42:10

I wouldn't bother too much with books. I do still buy the occasional book, but online. Even from the big book sellers they are cheaper online than small shops can offer them for.

Father Christmas gave me a 24 1/2" x 8 1/2" ruler. It will be so much more useful than my 6 1/2" wide one. I also like a square ruler. An 'add a 1/4" ' ruler is useful too. Think this is what Winnie means but I prefer a 12" one.

I don't like fabric markers. I prefer a hera marker or 1/4" quilters' masking tape.

Eileen's suggestion of simple kits is a good one. Also useful to have samples in the shop.

Margaret

On another note - I received an email this week to say that Hochanda the parent company of The Craft Store has bought Create and Craft.

Thread: Show and Tell 2021
04/01/2022 12:27:28

Sylvia, Love the poinsettia and well done to all who managed to keep on quilting in 2021.

Looking at my album I realise that my depression was such that I didn't bother to post photos. Have updated my album and there is one more to add but photo not taken yet. Finished 3 quilts for a late quilter friend and the photos below are my 3 fmq practice quilts using a remnant of Disney fabric.

Charity quilt #3. Practising FMQ

Charity quilt #2. Practising FMQ

N

Charity quilt#1. Practising FMQ

New Year's resolution to self - to look forward, not back.

Margaret

23/12/2021 11:12:11

Wishing you all a peaceful Christmas and a healthy 2022.

Margaret

02/12/2021 19:39:18

Sorry to see that you have not been well, Rosemary. Love looking at your robin for December 2021, but don't worry about calendars now. Just keep warm and get better.

Thank you for all you have done for us with calendars in the past.Take care.

Margaret x

Thread: Can a simple sewing machine do quilting?
13/09/2021 19:13:47

Thanks Eileen. I've always thought the posts were odd and that we were wasting our time answering them as there was never a reply. Now I see why. I did wonder if it was a real person.

Margaret

11/08/2021 17:09:06

It's so long since I was on here that I'd forgotten my password!

There have been some lovely projects going on. Love the little advent pockets, Rosemary. At first sight I thought the little blue one was a recycled jean's pocket then I realised the size.

Here is my latest project. It's an applique kit called "Doxie Love" by Madi Hastings. I thought it was a bit expensive but I hadn't read the size - 61" wide. One very big dachshund! It's taken me a couple of months+ to do the big stitch straight line quilting on the background. The dachshund is machine blanket stitch qayg.

Margaret

20210807_153911.jpg

Thread: Sewing quarter
14/05/2021 09:50:55

Can't really help you on that one, Eileen. I did buy some Victoria Findlay Wolf patterns from SQ when they closed down, but I have never bought fabric from them or SS as it is often too expensive, but the flower panels are an excusive and do look pretty. Maybe try one?

What really annoys me is that I don't watch the channel that often and Delphine Brooks kits are always sold out and she doesn't appear to have a website.

Confession time - I see books and things on the channel and then buy them cheaper else where.

Margaret

11/05/2021 14:06:18

Those are lovely, Rosemary. I admire your ingenuity. I wouldn't have the patience to work on something that small - or rather, my arthritic fingers wouldn't let me.

I have made 3 small charity quilts from my fabrics and just finished turning a quilt top from our late vice chairman's ufo pile into another charity quilt. (2 more of her's to go.)

I am watching Sewing Bee and thought the 2nd programme produced 2 of the worst garments that I have ever seen on the programme. I also can't get over that that programme wasted 44 pairs of men's board shorts! Latest episode was quite good though.

On Bargain Hunt today they had a small piece on Jo the quilter.

Margaret

09/04/2021 14:01:15

Had 2nd astrazeneca jab this morning. First jab made me ill so hope this one is better. Got a bad left shoulder at the moment so had this jab in right arm. This time I wasn't asked if I was pregnant !!!!

Regarding stash, I have been using up some of mine in charity quilts. Not made much of a dent. Only trouble is that I don't like florals or ditsy prints so much of my stash is geometric. Not very child friendly.

Keep safe.

Margaret

18/02/2021 09:35:09

I have ordered myself a new toy! The Grace Company are introducing the Cutie, a tabletop quilting frame. It's 4'ft wide and when you have finished with it, you can put it away in a cupboard or under a bed. It's a 'considered purchase' but much cheaper than the 1000s you would pay for the conventional long armers. It's on introductory special at the moment and stock is expected to arrive end of Feb beginning of March, so fingers crossed.

I plan to use my Janome 7700 with it, but yesterday the lady I spoke to at JB Sewing said that they had set it up with a normal domestic sewing machine. Obviously the quilting area would be smaller, the space to the right of the needle, but it was interesting to know. I am hoping that my fmq skills might improve!

Margaret

18/02/2021 09:19:51

My 2020 Temperature Quilt is finished. The months run vertically, but I think I prefer the quilt horizontal.

This photo did load on it's side and I had to go back to the original photo and crop the slightest bit off. This works, don't ask me why!

Margaret

2020 Temperature Quilt

14/02/2021 18:05:12

Rosemary, lovely little projects. Now if it was me in a year's time I will have forgotten the safe place where I put them!

Margaret

14/02/2021 17:59:39

Here you go Sylvia.  Well done.

Not mine - Sylvias projects

Not mine - Sylvias projects

Edited By Margaret S on 14/02/2021 18:06:27

Thread: Kantha quilting
24/01/2021 15:34:09

September Technique - Kantha

Brenda, I have had this piece of real Kantha for years. I thought that I may have tried it but I haven't so I can't help you. It must have been on my 'to do list' and then I forgot about it. I've got a cat pattern somewhere that I would like to try.

There is a small needlecase in the project section of this site called 'Wheel of Fortune'.

Margaret

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues

Shopping Partners