By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Margaret S

Here is a list of all the postings Margaret S has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: UFOs completed in time of "plague"(sorry I couldn't think of a better word!)
06/07/2020 20:08:30

Many thanks, Rosemary, for the lovely scissor keeper. I've never seen cork fabric before so I was surprised at the thickness of it. Well done you for working with it. Well done Sylvia too for your finishes.

I had forgotten that this challenge was ending. I know I've gone a bit ott, but it is a coping mechanism. Today I have finished another ufo! No photos yet.

Margaret

Thread: What product do I need? help!
29/06/2020 22:35:10

Not fusible, but I always use Thermore for thin wadding jobs.

Good to have you back Fiona. Hope you are well.

Margaret

Thread: Show and Tell 2020
29/06/2020 15:07:52

Umi, The Sea, Sashiko kit by Euro Japan Links. I twice tried to order this kit from The Quilters Guild but it was sold out, so I ordered it direct from Euro Japan Links. The Steam a Seam fusible carried on being a pain, having gummed up my fingers and hand sewing needle, it also gummed up my machine needle when sewing on the backing.

Umi - Sashiko kit by Euro Japan Links

Think I'm done with Sashiko for a while now.

Margaret

Thread: Mystery quilt
20/06/2020 09:55:06

That's a great quilt, Eileen. I love the red backing.

Here is mine. You wouldn't believe they were the same instructions, would you? I cut points off too when I brought the binding over from the back to machine down on the front. The Dear Stella fabric that I used on the back is printed over 1" off the straight grain and is probably why it was sold cheap in 5m lengths!

Margaret

Mystery Quilt

Thread: UFOs completed in time of "plague"(sorry I couldn't think of a better word!)
20/06/2020 09:47:36

Another donated top made into a charity quilt. This top came with problems. I thought I had sorted them all and then I found it measured 38" across the top and 40" across the bottom. Whilst I am happy to make tops into quilts, I will not remake a top. I cut the excess off and used the quilt as a practice piece for my Silesian Quilt Meander machine ruler. It's not a great quilt, but better than I thought it would be.

Margaret

NOT ALL MY WORK-Charity Quilt

20/06/2020 09:37:47

Lovely, Steph. As I said before, it's my favourite colour combination. It always 'pops'. Well done.

Margaret

19/06/2020 14:44:14

There you go Sylvia. Well done!

Sylvias projects

Sylvias projects

18/06/2020 09:30:55

That is lovely, Eileen. It has a 'vintage' feel about it. Since discovering self threading needles I don't mind sewing in ends. Does your machine have a wider space to get the quilt through?

I do like quilts to have lots of traditional quilting, and I love the secondary patterns on yours. Conversely, my mystery quilt has very little! Mine is finished but I haven't got round to taking photos yet.

Margaret

18/06/2020 09:22:09

Thanks, Eileen. Very observant, but you missed the ornate chop sticks that I am using as the hanging rod, small peep on left of hanging! Going through a japanese phase at the moment.

Margaret

Thread: Chat
18/06/2020 09:17:16

I have bought a Sashiko applique kit. It uses 'Steam a Seam' as the fusible. Has anyone else used this and had better results than me? It's foul. It completely gummed up my scissors, makes my fingers dirty and sticky, and I have to clean the needle after very short amounts of stitching. It certainly doesn't allow me to do 'mindful' sewing. I usually use 'Bondaweb' or 'Mistyfuse' and don't have this problem. It may be repositionable, but I think in future I'll use what I know.

Margaret

15/06/2020 14:02:59

Susan Briscoe Sashiko Koi Carp. Got this kit from one of our members who brought it in as a raffle prize and I asked her if I could buy it. Started it back in the autumn and got round to finishing it this week.

Sashiko Koi Carp

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 15/06/2020 14:15:22

04/06/2020 15:16:10

Your quilt is my favourite colour palette, Steph. I can't get on with a hoop, my fingers are not agile enough. At present, the hot weather has made my arthritis flare up big time. My right hand is sore, but working, my left thumb hurts and my left foot has got gout, but at least I can keep on quilting - slowly.

Love your peg bag. I really want to make one of those.

Margaret

04/06/2020 15:09:32

That was brave and to get it right, Eileen. I once ordered 3 shades of red for a PP swap, and they were all wrong. One of them is still in my stash.

I have quilted the 4 patch, double 4 patch and triple rail blocks. I am now on the hsts. I did use the brown perle #5 and it made my fingers sore and was difficult to get the knot to 'pop' when burying the threads.

Have you managed to find time to work on yours?

Margaret

Thread: Chat
04/06/2020 15:03:00

Men are so observant! This morning dh asked me how long a quilt had been hanging on the wall. He thought I was joking when I told him it had been there since 14th December!

Margaret

30/05/2020 17:58:26

I know your supplier never seems to hurry in despatching orders, but that is a huge wait, Eileen. I ordered a kit on 25 May from Euro Japan Links and it arrived today. On the 26th May I ordered some machine rulers from Silesian Quilts and they arrived from Poland today, admittedly by courier as the Polish mail will not handle parcels at present, but days before it was expected to arrive.

Hope your parcel arrives soon. I have been surprised at how quickly things have been getting through.

Margaret

30/05/2020 12:11:33

That looks an interesting design, Eileen. Good stash busting.

Lovely green cushions, Sylvia. Well done.

NOT ALL MY WORK. Here is the final charity quilt made from the last 3 Stack & Whack blocks. Turned out better than I expected. The pale fabric is some vintage Jinny Beyer that I had in my stash. There was just enough of the turquoise floral that I was given to make the backing for this one too. Quickly quilted by elongating to max one of the quilting stitches on my machine.

Charity Quilt NOT ALL MY WORK

Just 2 more donated quilt tops to go!

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 30/05/2020 12:12:08

30/05/2020 11:54:23

Eileen, big stitches are up to 1/4" long and as evenly spaced as possible. With perle #8 my stitches are about that size. Very effective when used 1/8" or 1/4" from seam line in traditional quilting, 'modern' is often straight lines. Quicker than traditional hand quilting, but I find it makes my fingers sore.

My quilt is now sandwiched and I have started the quilting.

Perils of ordering thread on the internet - what I thought was scarlet red turns out to be dark orange and light brown turns out to be ochre! I have some brown in perle #5 so I will have to see if I can work with that.

Hope your backing fabric has arrived.

Margaret

27/05/2020 08:15:16

Finished top.

Margaret

Mystery quilt - finished top

27/05/2020 08:10:56

My top is finished. The 9 patch blocks are deep purple. I am not buying fabric for this project so I am going to use some Dear Stella from my stash which is not really appropriate, (period type design), but it has the same colours in it. I have some dmc cotton perle #8 on order from Love Crafts as I plan to do some big stitch quilting when it is sandwiched.

Will now go and load the photo into my album as I forgot to do it before I started this post!

Margaret

17/05/2020 10:02:28

I have picture rails and in the spare (junk) room I have a piece of cheap fleece clipped to the rail. I just flat hand press the blocks to it and as long as they are not too heavy they stay in place, so there is no need to pin and they are easy to move around. At my group when I have demoed, seems so long ago now, I have used a fleece throw. Anything with a flannel type surface should work, paler the colour is best.

Margaret

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
The Cotton Patch
Janome
ECT
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues