By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Margaret S

Here is a list of all the postings Margaret S has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Do you match thread colour to fabric when machine piecing?
14/08/2019 11:49:07

I have seen all these collections of expensive, beautifully curated threads for piecing and quilting. Whilst I would match thread colour to fabric for dressmaking, I do not do this for quilt piecing by machine. I use mainly cream or beige cotton thread and occasionally grey, black or white. It's cheaper and less changing of bobbins. Am I the only one who does this for piecing?

Margaret

Thread: Show and Tell 2019
10/08/2019 11:44:46

Well done, Eileen.

UFO zapped. I have used 9 blocks from Rosemary's Block Challenge (Non Swap) and zapped this charity I Spy quilt. Backing was an ebay win. I think it is probably curtaining but it came up soft when washed.

UFO Zapped - Block Challenge (Non Swap)

Back of Block Challenge (Non Swsp)

Margaret

Thread: Festival of Quilts 2019
07/08/2019 13:24:42

Well done Rosemary. This was a huge undertaking on your part.

Constructive criticism helps us grow, and remember that you have given many of us the chance to boast that we have had our work exhibited at the foq!

Thank you.

Margaret

Thread: Photos from FoQ 2019
05/08/2019 11:19:07

I see that I misunderstood the foq 2019 instagram account. Taj Mahal was made by Pippa Wardman and is a very well deserved 'Visitors' Choice' winner.

Margaret

05/08/2019 10:26:46

Evening Group's Mystery Quilt. Final instructions revealed it should be Buckeye Beauty! Not enough contrast between my lights and mediums, but I prefer it this way. No one's actually turned out as a true Buckeye Beauty. Backing fabric was in my stash from yonks ago.

Mystery Quilt - should be Buckeye Beauty!

Back of Mystery Quilt

Margaret

04/08/2019 13:00:28

I love the Taj Mahal by Sheena Norquay. It's subjective, but I would have rated it higher than 3rd.

Seem to be less of the really big names as winners this year?

Yesterday's pictures of miniatures - not really into miniatures, but the latest Quilt Now has a fantastic one that I would like to try - Twilight in Paradise by Kumiko Frydl.

Hope you got time away from the camera to appreciate the quilts!

Margaret

Thread: how would you quilt this?
04/08/2019 10:39:51

Eileen,

Perfect! When I saw your first post I immediately thought of the Empire State Building. We should all use our fancy stitches more, too.

Margaret

02/08/2019 13:43:33

Thanks for the photos Rosemary. Our quilt looks very nice and is hanging well. I am presuming the Group winner was long arm quilted? Hope you had a good time at FOQ.

Love the Art and Modern winners. Not sure about Best in Show, would need to see it in real life.

Margaret

Thread: Chat
21/07/2019 10:57:26

Mental picture for you - I don't usually do the grocery shop on a Saturday and I had a job to park. Found a space for my small car between 2 'Chelsea Tractors'. Got out of the door o.k. and then got completely stuck, wedged in by the convex sides of the cars. Had to breath in hard, press my ample back side firmly against my car and wriggle free! After doing the shopping I knew that I would get stuck again, so this time I stood on tip toes to get my backside above the convex bulge and tip toe into the car!

Hope no one was watching!

Margaret

18/07/2019 16:10:12

Hi Maria

I have the Sizzix Big Shot and the Big Shot Plus and love both. Both are fairly weighty machines and you need the space to store them as they do not fold up. The Big Shot Plus takes the larger, wider dies, but if you just plan on using it for simpler shapes like squares, hsts, triangles, circles and simpler applique then the Big Shot may suit you and is cheaper!

I am not too convinced on these new electric models, as what happens if something goes wrong with the electrics?

Margaret

16/07/2019 14:36:35

Well done Rosemary. Hope they display it well.

Is it too much trouble for you to raffle it? After all your hard work we should try and raise some money for a charity from it.

Margaret

16/07/2019 14:32:11

Well done, Eileen. By my standards, it is huge! Cold spell coming, as you predicted!

Margaret

Thread: Oh to be able to use colour
16/07/2019 14:28:36

That is beautiful, Eileen. I am sure that your daughter will love it. Will it be a cat free zone, other than the decoration?

Margaret

11/07/2019 09:50:53

This UFO has sat in a chest of drawers since 2007! It is a Susan Briscoe design for PP. I made the blocks as each of the 3 installments of the magazine was published and I started the QAYG, realised how much work was required and lost interest back in 2007.

I thought it would be a good idea to use charm squares on the back, all 256 different fabrics! I had been given a load, probably by Janet McElroy, and added some of my own. I used them as they came and chose not to trim them all to the same size. Hand sewing down the joining strips took forever!

Took a month to complete this UFO.

Margaret

2007 UFO Susan Briscoe Log Cabin PP magazine

Back of 2007 UFO

11/07/2019 08:44:04

Eileen, I was thinking of you last night. I took some african fabric scraps to my quilt group's final meeting. A friend's daughter has requested an African style quilt as a wedding present and fabric was being collected for it. Now all changed - daughter says African means grey, yellow and cream with grey elephants!

Margaret

11/07/2019 08:37:54

Well done Rosemary. In this heat that is some achievement! Now I like sewing in ends as I find it quite restful. I either do it as I go along or leave it all to the end. Yesterday I was sewing in after each block was quilted. Mind you, I have only liked sewing in ends since I discovered self-threading needles. So much quicker!

Margaret

03/07/2019 15:40:39

That's lovely Eileen. Really unique and a wonderful gift. If my google translator is correct, it is a good motto too. I do admire your meticulous planning as that part of my brain seems to be sadly lacking.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 03/07/2019 15:43:35

03/07/2019 15:36:23

Eileen, love the top. It reminds me of floor tiles. Love the scrappy back too. Coming on well.

Margaret

Thread: Chat
03/07/2019 15:33:39

Went into Oxford for my monthly visit yesterday and they actually had the latest P&Q. Loved the giraffe, have an idea for that, and I love the Log Cabin. Bought the magazine, and it was a good read too.

Margaret

28/06/2019 13:19:31

Brenda

I love looking at Laura Heine's intricate designs, but her patterns are very expensive here.

Both your cushions and sewing machine collage are great. I bet that workshop was fun!

Margaret

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Support Our Partners
Janome
Sewing Quarter
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
Search Press
SewAndSo
bredons
C&T publishing
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues