By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Margaret S

Here is a list of all the postings Margaret S has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Show and Tell 2019
09/10/2019 15:00:40

Using up more of the farm animal fabric for another charity quilt.

Charity Quilt - Farm animals #2

Mostly chicken fabric left now, but as some of it is a modern design I will probably keep that for myself.

Margaret

Thread: Value of machine
06/10/2019 20:16:00

That ebay machine went tonight for £163.43.

Margaret

Thread: Chat
05/10/2019 10:49:09

Watched whilst having breakfast. Much better than I expected, but, as Rosemary said, very vague on costs. Interestingly, the biographies in the preview on the web were more informative than on the actual programme. I think the quilter found that people did not appreciate the time and cost of materials that go into a quilt. Ridiculous to expect them to produce a craft table's amount of work in 4 weeks.

I did learn that you can design using Excel, which is new idea to me. Must give it a try. Will watch again if the crafts interest me.

Margaret

Thread: A blue and white star quilt
05/10/2019 10:38:58

Look forward to seeing this one, Eileen. I like stars. Particularly like the white background one, name escapes me!

Margaret

04/10/2019 12:32:13

World Athletics won my viewing preferences last night. I see that the craft programme featured a long arm quilter and a crocheter so I plan to watch it on catch-up. Often these programmes are disappointing, but I am hopeful.

Thanks for the reminder, Rosemary.

Margaret

04/10/2019 12:28:42

I really like this very pretty quilt, Fiona. It should be very hard wearing and ideal as a car quilt.

Margaret

19/09/2019 15:45:56

Another charity quilt. Pack of farm animals has been in my stash for years, probably from when we still had contact with grand children, so time to use it up. Panel on the back looked very dull when I tried it out for a top, better as a backing. Turns it into a double sided quilt.

Charity Quilt - Farm animals

Back of Farm animals charity quilt

Margaret

Thread: A sewing machine for a total beginner?
19/09/2019 15:30:10

For a complete beginner, I would suggest finding a shop near you, rather than buying on the internet, so that you can try the machines and then can get there easily if you need extra help or have problems.

I don't have any experience of either of the machines that you mention so I can't advise you there.

Margaret

10/09/2019 11:08:19

Charity quilt. I found the small piece of pirate fabric in my stash and worked around it with other stash fabrics. The backing is 'Nimmo' curtain fabric found in the cheap bin at my local curtain fabric shop.

Charity quilt - Pirates

Nimmo fabric on back of charity quilt

Margaret

30/08/2019 20:50:32

Just did a long post and lost it!

I've used small scraps for stuffing, fabric postcards and extra loft for trapunto. I've made 2 quilts using narrow strips in the logs of QAYG log cabin, uses tons of scrap wadding.

I join wadding using 3 stitch zig zag - not too small a stitch, widest width the machine will do and Pfaff IDT on. Works well. I've got some wadding joining tape but not used it as stitching it together works for me. Before I started joining it by machine, I used to join by hand sewing with ladder-stitch.

Margaret

30/08/2019 20:41:07

Oops. Somehow missing post turned up.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 30/08/2019 20:52:05

25/08/2019 13:28:12

Getting ready early! Based on a Jordan Fabrics design ' Christmas Grandeur Secret Window', using a Robert Kaufman 'Winter's Grandeur' panel, and adapting Jordan Fabrics free 'Secret Window panel wallhanging' pattern.

Gold and silver metallic threads for quilting and gold star sequins for embellishment. 'Merry Christmas' fabric on the reverse.

Christmas Grandeur Secret Window

Margaret

Thread: Do you match thread colour to fabric when machine piecing?
14/08/2019 11:49:07

I have seen all these collections of expensive, beautifully curated threads for piecing and quilting. Whilst I would match thread colour to fabric for dressmaking, I do not do this for quilt piecing by machine. I use mainly cream or beige cotton thread and occasionally grey, black or white. It's cheaper and less changing of bobbins. Am I the only one who does this for piecing?

Margaret

10/08/2019 11:44:46

Well done, Eileen.

UFO zapped. I have used 9 blocks from Rosemary's Block Challenge (Non Swap) and zapped this charity I Spy quilt. Backing was an ebay win. I think it is probably curtaining but it came up soft when washed.

UFO Zapped - Block Challenge (Non Swap)

Back of Block Challenge (Non Swsp)

Margaret

Thread: Festival of Quilts 2019
07/08/2019 13:24:42

Well done Rosemary. This was a huge undertaking on your part.

Constructive criticism helps us grow, and remember that you have given many of us the chance to boast that we have had our work exhibited at the foq!

Thank you.

Margaret

Thread: Photos from FoQ 2019
05/08/2019 11:19:07

I see that I misunderstood the foq 2019 instagram account. Taj Mahal was made by Pippa Wardman and is a very well deserved 'Visitors' Choice' winner.

Margaret

05/08/2019 10:26:46

Evening Group's Mystery Quilt. Final instructions revealed it should be Buckeye Beauty! Not enough contrast between my lights and mediums, but I prefer it this way. No one's actually turned out as a true Buckeye Beauty. Backing fabric was in my stash from yonks ago.

Mystery Quilt - should be Buckeye Beauty!

Back of Mystery Quilt

Margaret

04/08/2019 13:00:28

I love the Taj Mahal by Sheena Norquay. It's subjective, but I would have rated it higher than 3rd.

Seem to be less of the really big names as winners this year?

Yesterday's pictures of miniatures - not really into miniatures, but the latest Quilt Now has a fantastic one that I would like to try - Twilight in Paradise by Kumiko Frydl.

Hope you got time away from the camera to appreciate the quilts!

Margaret

Thread: how would you quilt this?
04/08/2019 10:39:51

Eileen,

Perfect! When I saw your first post I immediately thought of the Empire State Building. We should all use our fancy stitches more, too.

Margaret

02/08/2019 13:43:33

Thanks for the photos Rosemary. Our quilt looks very nice and is hanging well. I am presuming the Group winner was long arm quilted? Hope you had a good time at FOQ.

Love the Art and Modern winners. Not sure about Best in Show, would need to see it in real life.

Margaret

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
Janome
Crafting Live
Sewing Quarter
C&T publishing
Search Press
Sarik
bredons
SewAndSo
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues