By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Margaret S

Here is a list of all the postings Margaret S has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chat
26/03/2020 13:53:37

Valerie

I have put the instructions for a quick and simple quilt in 'Show and Tell'. You can look at my photos to see how the pattern works out.

Margaret

Thread: Show and Tell 2020
26/03/2020 13:49:56

Here are the instructions for the quick charity quilts that I have made. I don't know the author. The size squares that you use determines the finished size of the quilt. 2 1/2" squares make a small crib quilt. The pattern makes a square quilt. I made the top and bottom borders wider to make a cot size quilt. I also used 4 patch blocks rather than charm squares.

Simple and quick quilt instructions

Enjoy.

Margaret

25/03/2020 12:44:31

Sign of the times- made a batik fabric face mask for dh's doctor's appointment tomorrow. Going to make one for myself as well.

Margaret

Sign of the times-batik face mask for dh

Thread: UFOs completed in time of "plague"(sorry I couldn't think of a better word!)
24/03/2020 10:27:29

Charity Cot Quilt #2, using the last of the PP swap 4 patches. Didn't enjoy this as much as the first one. With the final cuts you have no controĺ on the final block placements.

Charity Cot Quilt #2

Back of quilt using 'why did I buy this?' fabric, which has been in my stash for ages.

Back of Charity Cot Quilt #2

Have found 61 Hug Hearts in UFO pile!

Margaret

24/03/2020 07:50:10

No eggs, flour, hand wash or toilet rolls but did manage to put in a food delivery order last night. We will wait and see what arrives on Wednesday. Our chinese neighbours kindly gave us some fresh vegetables.

We always used to grow our own vegetables but stopped when they became so cheap in the supermarket. Yesterday dh started digging up part if our back lawn for a veg patch.

Hope you are all managing to get the groceries you need. Keep quilting and keep safe.

Margaret

Thread: Dawn's next quilt
24/03/2020 07:41:37

Looking forward to seeing this one, Eileen. Unless you have a tight deadline, if you are not enjoying it then sometimes it is better to leave it for a while. Good luck.

Margaret

Thread: Show and Tell 2020
18/03/2020 14:12:52

Started on my 2020 Temperature Quilt. No idea where this is heading so I'll have to wait and see if like it. Triangles are night time temperatures. This shows Jan to Feb 1 -19. I have now completed the rows for these two months but temperatures where very similar and it is very blue at this end of the rows.

2020 Temperature Quilt

Margaret

18/03/2020 14:04:27

Well done Rosemary and Eileen.

Following on from last year, here are photos of the last two borders I made on our Mystery Round Robin quilts.

I did the birds for someone who is a keen bird watcher and who asked for cheerful and pictorial.

Mystery Round Robin my birds round

I did the final round on this one. The owner asked for simple and two tone.

Mystery Round Robin  final round

I now have my own top back and will show it when the quilting is finished deadline 22nd April.

Margaret

Thread: UFOs completed in time of "plague"(sorry I couldn't think of a better word!)
18/03/2020 13:43:13

Well I have made this very quick charity cot quilt. I tweek the original pattern, which used squares, and used some of the PP swap 4 patches from yonks ago. I found a very bland printed cot quilt top in my stash and used it on the back.

Charity Cot Quilt

Back of Charity Cot Quilt

I have added 7 blocks to the remaining 4 patches and I am working on quilt no.2. They really are quick!

Margaret

17/03/2020 14:13:09

Rant of the day - all the talk of not using plastic and then this month all 3 of my subscription quilting magazines give plastic triangular rulers as their freebie!

Margaret

15/03/2020 15:33:27

Maria, sorry your Crohns is being a b again. Dh has an appointment for his latest infusion on Tuesday. Very worried about whether he should go as I caught my nasty bug from travelling on the bus at Christmas. They have already phoned to check if he has been abroad recently.

Hope that they can relieve your blockage without the need for surgery.

Virtual hugs.

Margaret x

15/03/2020 15:26:58

Hi Sylvia

Glad you are o.k. We are pretty worried and I have pulled out of quite a few things to try and protect dh health. We have had various viruses since Christmas and the first one I had was very similar to the present listed symptons and not pleasant. Ds doesn't seem to realise we are old and hasn't offered any help.

We have been wondering if we would be allowed to walk the dogs in the fields opposite if they do a lock down. Euro News has just said that the Spanish are allowed to walk their's so hoping it will be the same here. Suppose cycling causes too much breath exalation in the police's view. Likely that a lot of gardening and quilting will be done here.

Same as you Eileen, both my quilt groups have members in their 80s and 90s.

They were queuing down the road here yesterday waiting for Superdrug to open to get hand sanitiser!

One wag in our local paper commented that they were alright as they had been 21 for the last 50 years!

Best wishes to all.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 15/03/2020 15:35:27

03/01/2020 19:12:28

Rosemary, that is a good idea from Eileen. My only rider would be that embroidery thread is not always colour fast so wash it before using on your quilt.

New experience for me - started a cold on Boxing Day, very ill on New Year's Eve and Day, slightly better now but have completely lost my senses of smell and taste. Eating expensive chocolates is a bit of a waste. Today I thought I was eating Turkish Delight, but it was Marzipan! One of my brothers could never smell or taste, now I know what it is like.

Something for you to visualise - I was sewing today and wearing a decorator's mask as fibres have started to affect my chest.

Margaret

Thread: Show and Tell 2019
30/12/2019 09:43:03

Well, I have reviewed my year by looking at my 2019 album and I am somewhat disappointed. I did lose my mojo for a while, some of my finishes were larger than usual, and I do have 2 WIPs on the go and the Round Robin, but I seem to have achieved very little this year.

How have the rest of you fared?

Here's hoping for a much more productive 2020.

Margaret

29/12/2019 11:18:11

I am taking part in a Round Robin in my group. Progress so far. The owners do not follow the Forum, as far as I know.

The Kaleidoscope block is mine. I have asked for Modern, Abstract borders. I made the Piano Keys border (Bright, Colourful). I made the Triangles border ( Calm, Symmetrical). I made the Checkerboard/Pinwheel border ( Two Tone, Traditional).

Two more rounds to go before I get my quilt top back.

Group Round Robin, progress so far

Margaret

Thread: Temperature Quilts
29/12/2019 10:51:57

Has anyone made a Temperature Quilt? The basic idea is to record the highest and lowest temperatures for each day of the year, (366 days (blocks) in 2020).

I read about it in February last year, so too late to start for 2019. Thinking of trying to make one in 2020, but need to get thinking cap on and graph paper out.

Margaret

29/12/2019 10:43:21

Happy birthday Rosemary. Have a great day.

Love your little wreath quilt. Very pretty.

Did not need any quiltie things for Christmas (shock, horror!), so Santa gave me a telescope and a 2020 Sky at Night book. Needless to say the sky has been overcast ever since, so not able to set it up yet.

Hope those who wanted a Quiltie Santa were lucky too.

Margaret

Thread: Rainbow quilt
17/12/2019 20:16:19

Well done Eileen. I will look out for it next time I am in Oxford.

I saw your last design in P&Q. I thought that it was a beautiful, simple, very elegant table runner. I am sure lots of people will have made that one.

Margaret

Thread: Show and Tell 2019
17/12/2019 20:10:19

Beautiful, Steph. I love the way at first sight it looks like a regular layout, and then on closer inspection you see the different fabric placements in the stars.

I would find it hard to let this one go.

Margaret

16/12/2019 09:10:57

I have the Big Shot and the Big Shot plus.

The Sizzix website has some good ideas, not the uk site which is mostly paper crafting, but the american one.

Go to sizzix.com - Menu - Projects - d.i.y. crafts (Quilting and Applique), or Themes (Quilting and Applique). Not all the dies will fit the Big Shot and some may be discontinued, but you should be able to get the general idea.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 16/12/2019 09:15:05

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Crafting Live
lewis and irene
ECT
The Cotton Patch
Janome
C&T publishing
bredons
SewAndSo
Search Press
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues