By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sue Owen

Here is a list of all the postings Sue Owen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Submit your event listing here
05/03/2009 01:01:42
please would you include in your forthcoming events,
ABERMULE QUILTERS 1ST EXHIBITION ON SAT 19TH AND SUN20TH SEPTEMBER 2009 AT ABERMULE COMMUNITY CENTRE NR NEWTOWN POWYS WALES.
REFRESHMENTS, SALES TABLE. SUNDAY TRADERS DAY, MORE INFO TO FOLLOW.
Thread: Used Books
19/09/2008 23:35:00

i use my charm packs to make small experimental quilts on which to practise my machine quilting, I NEED A LOT OF PRACTISE!!, they are also useful for charity quilts, . a few years ago a local group had a project linus type day and used donated fabric to provide our local police with a cuddle quilt for any child  caught up in a police related incident,[these were shrink wrapped by a local butcher!!!!! to keep them clean and to make them as small as possible to put in boot of police car.] we also made very small quilts for the baby unit for premature babies cots, so charm packs would be very useful for these.

good luck im sure if you collect enough packs in similar colours you could make a charm trip around the world, best wishes sue

Thread: Forum question
19/09/2008 23:18:00
what a beautiful bag, well done, i love the fabric, if you cant find a suitable button let me know i have a vast collection which im trying to disperse including lots of toggle buttons. all the best sue
Thread: Applique Shoe Patterns
14/05/2008 22:44:00

dear gill,

there is a book called 505 quilt blocks by better homes and gardens [american but available here] which has for foundation piecing 2 x bags, applique ladies shoes , bikini, lipstick prom dress bodice,ring,cupcakes[very popular at the moment] and lots of similar things. they have a wide range of blocks for applique and foundation piecing, its a book to pick up again and again . lots of flower related things and xmas, childrens,bows ,buildings, animals etc, a very good source book. hope this helps,

Thread: Block of The Month Quilt
11/05/2008 01:06:00

re microstitch tacks, i bought one of the guns? and tacks from ladysewandsew last year at malvern, i have been very pleased with it ,considering I HATE GADGETS,  on their stand they had samples so you could have a go. before the quilt show there was a great write up on this particular one and i decided to go for it after reading the review and actually being able to try before i bought it. on ladysewandsews stand.

the tacks are very small  and fine and so quick to use, in fact next week at malvern i need more tacks as ive used nearly all mine up. just a note dont use matching colours if your fabric is dark use light coloured tacks and for light fabrics use dark colours, this will make it so much easier when removing them, [special tool available, which will save you snipping your fabric with scissors when taking them out]. hope this helps, its one of those WORKS FOR ME ITEMS..

02/05/2008 22:08:00

dear margaret burgess,

what a fabulous bee, so lifelike , cant wait to see more of your work.

best wishes, sue owen.

Thread: Mountains of Fabric
29/04/2008 22:53:00
dear kim , thanks for reminding me about schools!, for many years when offspring were of school age i went and taught them textiles so they also recieved large bags of remnants, unfortunately our council decided to close our local school, and my offspring are now 21 and 24. i also used to run the young embroiderers group so we used up lots that way. my daughter who now works from home, running her own business is trying valiantly to work her way through my stash but she has an awful loooooooong way to go. shes a budding quilter , and im taking her to malvern for quilts uk this year for the first time, so if you see a small chunky welsh quilter with a gorgeous  daughter with PINK hair come and say HELLO.
Thread: Questions about different techniques
24/04/2008 00:06:00

if you have tension troubles with your machine here is one solution found after 40 years of machine sewing.

when winding a bobbin for machine sewing, if you are using a polyester based thread, WIND IT SLOWLY,[ i know this is one of the most boring bits of sewing, but believe me this works!] when polyester thread is wound fast its heats up and stretches as it is wound, then when wound  it cools down, now your thread is overstretched so when you sew with it it shrinks back to the unstretched tension. leaving your fabric puckered , where upon lethal curses are pronounced upon the machine,

hope this helps , sue.

Thread: Mountains of Fabric
17/04/2008 20:40:00

hi, i too have a serious [welsh]mountain of fabric, but not just patchwork fabrics. for 12 years i was a theatrical costume maker and costume makers can NEVER have enough fabric , every scrap has a potential use, when i decided to retire i sold approx half my stash, and now my large workroom is usable again, as in now most everything is on the custom made [husband dave, did it when in 2001 foot and mouth disease came to our lovely valley and decimated our surroundings. we didnt leave our farm for 9 1/2 weeks to save our cows, little welsh quilters are very determined people, and we had lots of spare time in evenings, thanks dave].  shelving he made me . if i can ever work out i will post photos, i absolutely love looking at other peoples workrooms, such inspiration ,or am i a nosy parker?.

being a costume maker means "i never have to say im sorry" about the vast stash, it is a fab resource for crazy patchwork , buttons , lace trimmings, embellishments, there is not enough time to do it all.

i distributed large quantities of fabrics to my local drama groups, quilt groups and charity shops but my workroom is still full, how the heck i did any work in there before is not known but could be in the running for miracle status.

i would love to hear from other quilters about there stash control and im definately going to look up quiltville .com.

perhaps pp could do a series of articles on famous quilters workrooms?

best wishes to you all , from the stash busting welsh quilter sue*********************************************

Thread: Submit your event listing here
11/04/2008 23:29:00

hi, as promised here are some of the events at the wonderful MINERVA CENTRE, LLANIDLOES POWYS, MID WALES

MAY 3rd-5th may quilting celebration quilt groups fabric swop and traders

JULY 26TH REGION 12 AREA DAY

JULY14TH-SEPTEMBER 13TH  MINERVA QUILTS 08 SUMMER EXHIBITION   DEFINATELY NOT TO BE MISSED.

HOPE YOU CAN COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MORE NEWS AS I GET IT. HAPPY QUILTING AND PATCHING BEST WISHES SUE

Thread: Hostas after the shower
11/04/2008 23:19:00
absolutely fab i would love to have this on my wall WELL DONE
Thread: Share your favourite show experiences
29/03/2008 20:23:00
i went to the last day of the welsh heritage quilters exhibition today at llanidloes powys, WHAT A TREAT. if you missed it DONT MISS THE NEXT ONE. there was a wonderful selection of quilts wallhangings bags and other associated items, from traditional quilts to art inspired quilts from experienced quilters to the thursday club beginners. it was so good i went round TWICE. lots of goodies to tempt you to open your purse lots of things to take part in and a huge table groaning with fabric threads and other associated bits and bobs, for  a donation to the AIR AMBULANCE. In a rural area like this and where i live 25 miles away the air ambulance is very important, and can mean the difference between life and death when yiou live 30 miles from an ACCIDENT AND EMERGENCY HOSPITAL . Keep your quilting eyes open for more at llanidloes you will not be dissapointed, i will post when there are more events on,its alovely rural area and you will all be very welcome im sure,  they are a very friendly lot and VERY GOOD QUILTERS.
Thread: Round and round
29/03/2008 20:08:00
thanks katy.
Thread: Have you read this book?
29/03/2008 20:03:00
hi i too have just read stash envy and other quilting confessions, its a great book that rings lots of bells, looking forward to reading that dorky homemade look next, serious people with no sense of humour need not apply, this one will tickle your funnybone..
Thread: Round and round
28/03/2008 00:19:00
sue is a new member of this forum and being a silly billy pressed the wrong button, and now this empty box with my name on it keeps popping up so apologies all round for being a silly billy , hence the explanation, put it down to age and  inexperience .from the silly welsh quilter..............
Thread: It's your community - how would you like to use it?
27/03/2008 23:58:00
hi just found your website today ,WHAT A GREAT SITE!!!! it seems to cater for all a person could want CONGRATULATIONS , look forward to many happy hours browsing, quilters are such nice people and hope to make lots of new quilting friends best wishes from the welsh quilter SUE.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
Janome
Crafting Live
Sewing Quarter
bredons
Search Press
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues