By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Helen Thomas 1

Here is a list of all the postings Helen Thomas 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hi from a newbie!
14/10/2017 22:44:24

I would so love to be able to make my own clothes! I've looked at patterns but they are quite terrifying

I taught myself to crochet last year and can do it quite well but I really wanted to be able to knit. Can't manage the two needles though

It really is! If you'd told me when I was younger that I'd be addicted to fabric and sewing, I'd have said you were barking. I think there must be a lesion in the part of the brain that affects creativity so it comes out more. So fascinating

Thread: skipped stitches, bobbin thread not picking up
14/10/2017 11:59:32

I have now bought a walking foot, used it for the firs time yesterday and wow, what a difference!

Thanks for all your help everyone

14/10/2017 11:58:07

Hi Eileen,

50+ years is a long time! I've only been sewing for around 7 years. Oddly enough, I was rubbish at it when I was younger but I was diagnosed with MS in 2010 and it seems to have brought out a creative side!

10/10/2017 17:49:26

Ah right. Thanks for the advice! And good luck with your project!

10/10/2017 17:00:17

Than ks Margaret.

I have a Brother Innovis - 10, it's a great machine usually. I do have the feed dogs up but I am just using the normal presser foot. Have done a bit more research and think I shall have to invest in a proper walking foot

This is what I mean by not knowing the technical stuff!

I have yet to try sewing with fleece! Have given it some thought though, there are some very cool hat patterns out there

10/10/2017 12:46:01

Hi, I'm Helen and I've joined from not so sunny Dorset.

Have been quilting for a while but I still don't know a lot about the technical side of things - thread and fabric types, troubleshooting etc.

I have been using the youtube tutorials from Jenny Doan at Missouri Star Quilt Co, they are great.

Would love to get to know some other quilters and crafty types

10/10/2017 12:42:58

Hi,

I've been quilting for a while but am still a newbie when it comes to technical stuff.

I'm currently making a playmat with 6oz wadding and when I started topstitching through the layers, it started skipping stitches or the stitches were really tiny.

I cleaned everything out, changed the needle and tried again, but same thing. So I did some research and bought some quilting needles in size 90/14 and 75/11. Tried the 90/14 and while it will work on some things, it's still not working for the playmat. It wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread, or when it did, it would still skip stitches.

So my question is - do I need a different needle or am I doing something wrong?

The only place to buy needles where I live is Wilkinsons and obvs they don't carry all the different types. I don't really want to have to buy different types online only for the problem to still be there

Thanks in advance!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues