By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Eileen Foster

Here is a list of all the postings Eileen Foster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: UFOs completed in time of "plague"(sorry I couldn't think of a better word!)
30/03/2020 13:37:29

They are both lovely quilts and such a pity your sister never got to see the finished piece.

some charity will be very grateful, yets hope they raffle them off to get as much money as possible.

25/03/2020 16:40:03

I am so glad I am not the only one who has 'why did I buy that' fabrics too.

The designs work well though Margaret, very pretty.

Eileen

x

21/03/2020 21:07:29

thanks for showing your white quilts. I've posted photos of progress so far.

Our group is also doing a website based one now. its a mystery quilt too. Looking forward to finishing it.

Eileen

Thread: Dawn's next quilt
21/03/2020 21:04:33

I started using the bleached cotton wadding but it doesn't have shed lint and the cough without a temperature I hope is down to that. needless to say I am not going out!

I am doing straight lines around the shapes as the quilting pattern. All 4 2ft wide x 8ft long sections are now joined into 2 sections. I need to do the quilting across these seams but as the weather is nice I am gardening.

first photo is the top of one section and the second is the reverse of 2 sections joined together.

p1100427.jpg

p1100429.jpg

I am struggling to enjoy this project. Eileen x

Thread: Chat
18/03/2020 15:36:56

Where abouts near Durham Mandy. I regularly visit family in Sunderland but not at the moment. Do you plan to do online stuff?

that sounds 'fun' Sylvia, look forward to seeing it.

Eileenx

Thread: UFOs completed in time of "plague"(sorry I couldn't think of a better word!)
18/03/2020 15:34:35

That is beautiful Margaret.

A good idea Rosemary. I'm battling on with the white on white quilt for my friend. I have started joining 2 of the 4 sections together. But I keep pricking my self and have to stop as I don't want blood on it! Eileen x

Thread: Show and Tell 2020
18/03/2020 15:31:27

Well done you too. Those tops are beautiful. I'll be interested to see how your temperature quilt goes on.

Eileen x

15/03/2020 14:42:28

Hi Sylvia,

glad you are ok. I was talking about this last night with a gardening friend. I'm in 2 minds about the Gov advice here. It does make sense to me but at the same time it does seem to be contrary to the rest of the advice. I'am just aware of the problems faced at the end of the Spanish flu epidemic. My parents remembered it well.

But Gardening on dry days will be good and sewing on wet days is the plan. We still plan to go for rides on the motor bike until we are told otherwise. I've been propagating plants for sale as I give gardening talks. Sadly all cancelled through to June so far.

Sadly most of my hobby groups consist of many vulnerable people and it seems so wrong to inadvertently put them at risk. My youngest girl is worried about uni and if she should come home to us. I've told her to come as we are able to self isolate if need be.

Hope you and yours stay safe and well

Eileen

x

08/03/2020 13:23:52

I did a fpp mini project at my quilting group and it was all hand sewn as we didn't take any machines with us.

I hand quilted it and then did the binding and hemming by hand. Its only a 5" mug mat but I am really pleased with it.

hand stitched.jpg

hand stitched back.jpg

Eileen

x

19/02/2020 21:29:45

That is lovely Rosemary the bears are soooo cute and miss bunny looks rather grand in her finery too.

Thread: Dawn's next quilt
18/02/2020 17:57:46

Towards the end of last year Dawn asked me to make her a blue and white star quilt which I did. She was very happy and has asked me to make her another one. This time she wanted something more contemporary using 'white on white' to measure 80"x80".

The sixty four 10 1/2 " block is made up of a 101/2"x 51/2" rectangle joined to a strip that is made up of a 21/2"x51/2" added to 51/2" square and finished off with a 31/2"x 51/2" rectangle.

p1100192.jpg

Then 4 blocks are joined together to make a 20 1/2" block.

p1100193.jpg

I will join 4 of these to make a row, which will be quilted and when all 4 rows are done I will sew them together as a quilt as you go.

I am waiting for the leached wadding to turn up so I can get on with the project.

regards

Eileen

18/02/2020 17:19:14

I escaped the clutches of Storm Dennis by going on a sewing retreat to Scarborough. whilst here I started a new quilt for my friend Dawn and to break up the task I made this play mat.

jungle alphabet play mat..jpg

It needs pressing as I rolled it up to bring it home haha.

regards

Eileen x

Thread: Marking the 200th Anniversary of the Royal Astronomical Society
18/02/2020 17:15:50

Yes I have just got mine today too and in between the rain when I couldn't dig up plants I read the article. It looks amazing.

regards

Eileen

11/02/2020 14:19:34

This is the sort of thing I yearn to do but I am not very travel savvy.

Hope you have fun when you do go.

21/01/2020 13:27:06

They are both pretty items Rosemary. Eileen x

13/01/2020 15:29:33

That looks so stylish Sylvia. Sewing weekends really help to focus the mind and the fingers.

Eileen

x

Thread: Show and Tell 2019
03/01/2020 21:28:10

well today I made these 2 cushions. Originally it was a panel but I didn't like it as a panel so cushions it is, now used half of it. Slowly getting my sewing head back on.

Eileen

x

dino diplodocus cushion.jpg.

dino pleiseosaur cushion.jpg

03/01/2020 20:21:44

oh Margaret that is rotten for you, but that image of you sewing made me smile laugh.

I was thinking about the embroidery thread, there is cotton a broder but that might be better than the 6 stranded thread. But what about tapestry wool or would that be too thick?

Eileen x

Thread: A sewing machine for a total beginner?
31/12/2019 18:25:20

Personally I like Janome. They are a good build and the after sales service is very good.

but as said back in September 'try before you buy'.

31/12/2019 18:18:08

Yes lets hope we all have health and happiness next year and the decade to come.

you could plait embroidery thread into the thickness you want for the ropes then stitch them in place with a whip stitch over the plait. as climbing rope is often multi coloured you could use a thread to contrast with the 'rope'. or use thin cord etc.

is this what you are thinking of?

Eileen

x

Edited By Eileen Foster on 31/12/2019 18:31:31

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues