By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Eileen Foster

Here is a list of all the postings Eileen Foster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: UFOs completed in time of "plague"(sorry I couldn't think of a better word!)
29/05/2020 17:17:09

they look lovely and fresh Sylvia.

Eileen x

Thread: Mystery quilt
27/05/2020 08:40:09

That is lovely Margaret. Can I ask what is big stich quilting? How big are the stitches? I have several skeins of Perle cotton threads and if I could use them that would be wonderful. They have been in my cabinet for about 20 yrs now.

Thread: UFOs completed in time of "plague"(sorry I couldn't think of a better word!)
27/05/2020 08:29:56

That should say 10 squares per strip and 10 strips. That will make it a 50" square quilt. Must go through my stash again today and see if I have any wide fabric. or other more suitable normal width fabric.

26/05/2020 20:44:08

I think I have an old wool blanket that I can use.

I ordered some extra wide backing fabric in a dull red from Doughty's but until it turns up [6 days and waiting but they did say they were very busy] I cant get on with it.

How are you getting on Margaret?

26/05/2020 20:38:04

Its not completed but until I can find a suitable backing material it is as far as it is going to get.

I had 5 fat quarters of a Rose and Hubble fabric called Plantagenet and about 1.5 m of an ecru fabric. So I decided on 1/2 square triangles and went from there. I did sort of plan it but I orientated 3 strips wrongly [to the pattern] so left it and made the remaining ones to match.

I plan to do it QAYG so the strips will be sewn down as I go.

this is the centre part on the fireside carpet.rose & hubble plantagenet 1.jpg

this is the 8 strips laid on the spare bed. the blocks are 5" finished. Clearly they don't line up yet but hopefully you can get an idea of it.I will post when it is finished.

rose & hubble plantagenet 3.jpg

So I am starting to bust my stash. Just in time for the shops to open again.

Eileen x

Thread: Returner to the forum and the hobby
19/05/2020 21:56:24

Hello Tina, I have only been on the site for about 2 years and been doing patchwork for 3 yrs. I have had lots of help from the members on this excellent site.

Eileen x

16/05/2020 21:54:18

This is my 6th block and the next couple of sections joined but not attached to the central bit.9 patch.jpg

placement.jpg

Its on my cream quilt and the outer edge wont be cream. I still have 2 more rows all round still to do. But I need to chose my backing fabric but I cant get out to look. I have looked on line but I need to put the fabrics with it to see if it works.

What do you use to hold your fabrics onto your wall Margaret and what is your wall?

Eileen

x

14/05/2020 19:49:37

They look lovely, but how is there a placement error. I cant see one. they are beautiful.

the refuge will be very grateful to receive them.

Eileen x

14/05/2020 14:45:24

Not horrified at all Margaret. That's what I love about this project. Same blocks different layouts.

I like the look of yours. mine is very 'regular'

Eileen x

13/05/2020 12:38:08

Back in January my local group Friendship Quilters, based in Walkington near Beverley decided to do a mystery quilt. We had the instructions in Feb and March. Then the world tilted on its axis. Fortunately we have been given the instructions every month since.

All my blocks are complete so I started planning how I would arrange them. I drew paper versions of each block and played around with them. I took photos of various arrangements until I found one I liked.

pattern version 2.jpg

I then sketched it out on paper as I didn't want to risk the bits falling off.

pattern 2 adopted.jpg

I have joined the middle 6 x 6 blocks and really like them.

central portion.jpg

The finished quilt will be about 50" square depending on if I add any borders. I did make some extra squares as I had some of the fat quarter fabrics left.

I will add photos of the individual blocks later.

Margaret has also got the same pattern so it will be nice to compare the finished projects.

Eileen

x

Thread: Show and Tell 2020
11/05/2020 22:17:53

Hi I have finished the white on white quilt.

finished full bed.jpg

I have made all my mystery quilt blocks and made 1cm x 1cm paper squares with the patterns on them. This will allow me to plan my layout.

Eileen x

Thread: Dawn's next quilt
11/05/2020 22:14:09

Well I have finished it at last. I hope she will like it.

photo of it on my bed and the other one showing the top border that is simple and I think the understatedness of it was important.

finished full bed.jpg

finished extra border.jpg

The fabric was described as arctic white and natural white.

Eileen x

02/05/2020 19:23:42

I have started to do some of the quilting after I had joined 2 sections together. It is the first sewing I've done on this since late March. Eileen

xp1010651.jpg

Thread: Stay at home retreat....will you join me?
02/05/2020 19:18:35

That looks wonderful Rosemary.

Eileen x

29/04/2020 10:14:54

Meant to say the quilt border is beautiful

as are the mug rugs and completed embroideries.

Eileen x

Edited By Eileen Foster on 29/04/2020 10:16:28

29/04/2020 10:13:35

wow that is going to be so dramatic. Is it a commercial pattern or one she has made her self?

Eileen

x

Thread: Show and Tell 2020
29/04/2020 10:11:08

we started our mystery quilt before lockdown and the idea is one block a month. We have a show and tell every first meeting of the month and then the second meeting tends to be an activity session. I am not sure of the time scale for finishing it, especially under the circumstances.

I love your fabrics Margaret and yes this looks like ours too.

Eileen

x

Thread: Stay at home retreat....will you join me?
26/04/2020 19:29:39

I thought a fan to fill in the gap or a lantern? Well done Margaret on givig the rulers ago. One of our quilting group uses them and she says she has to spend a day getting her head into gear re speed etc then she is off like a good un.

Without looking at the paper work I am sure how many blocks in total but the folder is out of reach at the moment. Rosemary.

Eileen x

26/04/2020 09:12:04

all the work being done is soooo beautiful. Is the kimono pattern for a quilt? I assume its appliqued onto a backing?

I have done 2 more blocks a 4 patch and a double 4 patch. I think there were 21 4 patch and 24 double 4 patch.

Kept me out of mischief any way. Though not nearly as technical as the other work being done.

I love the greens of the the table runners too.

4 patche

double four patch

Until next month I wont be able to do any more of this set of blocks. But I hope to get back on with the white on white quilt soon.

Eileen x

24/04/2020 18:56:36

Yes that is the same one Margaret.

This is the ocean waves block.ocean waves

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues