By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Eileen Foster

Here is a list of all the postings Eileen Foster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chat
05/12/2019 16:04:27

I've lost my mojo sad

I don't think this has ever happened before. I just feel like hibernating and it isn't even that cold yet. I have lots of sewing to get on with and Christmas cards to embroider but I just don't feel up to it. I haven't even got any desire to garden and that is not me at all.

does any one else get this? I didn't even fancy the Harrogate stitching and knitting show and usually I really look forward to it.

I guess I am just feeling down in the dumps. Perhaps I need snow to lighten my mood.

Hope all you ladies [and gentlemen] are feeling good and keeping well.

Eileen

x

14/11/2019 14:11:19

Thanks Rosemary, I was really chuffed to see it. They do present it well. Both you and Margaret gave me the push I needed to get in touch with the editing team.

Thanks Margaret for your advice on the fmq thread. I didn't have a choice but to use white backing as it was on the blue and white star quilt. I did use the same weight of thread top and bottom. I suspect I was just going too fast. I had noticed the stitch sizes were irregular but that will come with practise.

I delivered it this morning and she was over the moon with it. She wants me to make her a smaller quilt for a single bed but just in white!

Eileen x

We have also got a waterlogged garden and the R Hull is overtopping into some of the lower fields. Lets hope we all stay safe and dry.

Thread: A blue and white star quilt
13/11/2019 16:36:53

well it is finished and ready to go to the owner tomorrow. I am really pleased with it but oops the photo is on its side. don't know how that happened!

p1090836.jpg

Thread: what am I doing wrong
13/11/2019 16:31:06

I am trying free motion but I have a problem. Some have the threads working well and the stitches are ok. p1090838.jpg

But on the next one I get pulled top thread through to the bottom. white is on the bottom with dark blue on the top.

What am I doing wrong? going to fast/changing direction too quickly/wrong tension.

p1090840.jpg

Any advice gratefully accepted.

thanks in advance

Eileen

11/11/2019 17:43:30

Well I am nearly there, just got to slip stitch/ sew down the binding and add the label. I do hope she likes it.

5 7ths cornerstone.jpg

This is 5/7ths of the quilt. I did echo quilting of the stars.

this is the state of play at lunch time ready to bind. as it is 8ft square that will be 32ft of binding!

unbound quilt.jpg

Thread: Thank You !
04/11/2019 18:16:28

That is a super amount. well done.

31/10/2019 17:56:08

I have got one section 2 1/2' x 8' quilted and spent 3 hrs making the next sandwich. I decided to do smaller running stitches to prevent them getting caught and pulled on the machine. I also tacked down the backing to the wadding going left to right then the top was added and tacked top to bottom. it is a much smoother finish so it must be easier to manage.

Eileen

x

p1090827.jpg

Thread: Show and Tell 2019
24/10/2019 22:48:15

Too wet to garden for the last couple of days so I made another scrappy quilt. I think I will call it 'autumn'.

autumn 4.jpg

It is just over 1m square.

Eileen

Edited By Eileen Foster on 24/10/2019 22:52:38

19/10/2019 21:04:41

well all 49 blocks are done.

photo shows the way they are going to go together 7 rows of 7.2 rows.jpg

There will be a 6" border but I have done corner stones of smaller stars.

corner stone.jpg

I am ready to add the borders to two 2x7 set of rows and a 3x7 set. Then I will sandwich them, quilt them and then join them [qayg].

I will do echo quilting as that is my favourite and suitable for my machine.

12/10/2019 21:54:40

I can get on with the blue and white stars as the backing fabric hasn't been delivered yet. So I had a look through my various scraps etc.

I made this dog based quilt . it measures 36" square.

It looks 'lumpy' but it is sitting on cushions.p1090786.jpg

This is a close up of a section so you can see the details in the fabric.

p1090787.jpg

The 8 patch block has the dogs the right way up and upside down too. So the quilt can be any way up.

Eileen x

11/10/2019 17:33:51

this is beautiful Rosemary. One very lucky baby.

Eileen

x

09/10/2019 21:16:09

That's lovely Margaret. So jolly.

Eileen

x

06/10/2019 19:13:15

it is similar to the Ohio star but this only has 2 colours whereas the Ohio one usually has 3. so many names though.

eileen x

04/10/2019 18:17:36

I have made all the blocks. they came together really quickly. 25 white with the 'blue star' and 24 blue with the white star.

I am now waiting for the shop to get the backing fabric in that my friend has ordered and paid for.

Eileen

x

Thread: Chat
04/10/2019 18:14:03

I've just watched it and I was disappointed by it. The advice we saw was too wishy washy. I also found it interesting that the quilter had his friends construct a quilt. He wasn't 'in it for the money' but I thought that was the point of the programme. When they said the bargello's we priced at £2000 I was gobsmacked. I wonder what Kaffe's quilts sell for or if he does?

I am not sure I will watch it but I will leave the series on record just in case.

.Eileen x

04/10/2019 16:52:45

I was out at a gardening talk but I did record it. Not seen it yet that's tonight's viewing after tea. I was told it was a bit like bake off with people being eliminated so we shall see.

Thread: Value of machine
02/10/2019 12:19:44

Afternoon all.

a friend has recently died and her widower is after selling her machine.

it is a Bernina activa 230 Patchwork edition. It is only about 5 years old and doesn't look as if it has been used much. It has been serviced and not used since as the service note re-oil is under the foot. it is in excellent condition with its soft carry case and box of 5 feet.

what is it worth/ what can he expect to get for it?

Thanks in advance

Eileen

x

27/09/2019 20:50:15

That is so pretty Fiona. A lucky daughter indeed.

Eileen

x

27/09/2019 20:47:09

A friend has asked me to make her a quilt. She wanted a blue and white theme using a star motif.

So I have planned it and started making the 2 star motifs.

she asked for it to be about 8ft x 8 ft so it will over hang her bed. I will have to make it in 3 sections. There are 49 12" blocks with a 6 " border in blue.

blue back ground

white back ground

I will up date this as I progress.

Eileen

x

19/09/2019 18:23:00

lovely Margaret. some one is going to be very happy with this one.

Eileen x

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
The Cotton Patch
Janome
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
Sewing Quarter
C&T publishing
bredons
SewAndSo
Search Press
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues