By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Eileen Foster

Here is a list of all the postings Eileen Foster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Oh to be able to use colour
24/06/2019 09:07:02

Thanks Brenda, I must say I am happier now that I have got some colour into it. the red hare fabric in one of the blocks was used in Elizabeth's bed runner that I made. 3rd project I made.9 patch varient.jpg

both my girls like outline/echo quilting and as it is in panels that will fit under my machine that is what I will do. in some of the plain squares in a block I will attempt some free motion 'scribbles'. her and her boyfriend have 2 cats so I might do cat outlines too. See how fed up I get..

Eileen

x

Edited By Eileen Foster on 24/06/2019 09:07:27

23/06/2019 21:35:29

well the top is ready to be assembled once I have made the back . I will be a sort of QAYG.

photos of progress todate.

this forms the corner of the on point churn dash.

corner of churn dash.jpg

Then I added a flying geese border to square it up.

central panel.jpg

The side panels are a variant on a friendship star.

side panel.jpg

The top and bottom panels are also ready.

top lay out..jpg

The top of this quilt is to the left. I forgot to rotate the camera.

so far so good.

Eileen

x

Thread: Show and Tell 2019
22/06/2019 18:19:55

they are both beautiful Margaret.

I am going to do a scrappy back for my daughters quilt. You have given me the inspiration to get on with it.

Eileen

x

Thread: Oh to be able to use colour
11/06/2019 17:52:37

This is the centre panel' it is 16 6.5" churn dash blocks joined together. The dark grey that looks blue-ish is spare fabric from her sister's quilt. well waste not want not.

16 churndash.jpg

Plan to place them 'on point'

churn dash on point.jpg

This will have a triple layer border with a chequer board corner stone. this is some placed but not stitched yet.

placed sashing.jpg

11/06/2019 15:18:25

She has said I can have bright pink on the backing surprise

I think I will do a scrappy back so the quilt can be reversible. She will get pink on the back and if she doesn't like it then tough laugh

so far so good I have found some nice caramel oakshot fabrics to brighten up the greys and blacks.

Eileen x

29/05/2019 16:16:49

My eldest girl would like me to make her a double bed quilt to use in the summer instead of the duvet.

Of course I said yes." What colours would you like?"

Answer : "black, greys and browns please."

sad

Why don't my girls like colour??? Am I the only one who has daughters that are into the 'dark side'?

Edited By Eileen Foster on 29/05/2019 16:17:52

Thread: Show and Tell 2019
24/05/2019 14:41:43

WOW!!!!!

that is amazing Margaret and so beautiful. Did you paint the textile too?

22/05/2019 11:00:01

well it seems ages since I completed a project.

our quilting group is holding a coffee morning on the 25th May and they wanted things to sell so I have made these 14" cushions.

giraffe cushions.jpg

I am hoping to sell them for about £5.50 each or is that too much.

I am about to plan a double bed quilt for my eldest girl and her boyfriend, They have a new build home and are slowly gathering furnishings. Unfortunately for me they want a palette of black/grey/brown. Why do both my girls like the gothic hues. I love colour and wish they did too.

I will let you see it as it progresses.

Eileen x

Thread: Festival of Quilts 2019
22/05/2019 10:46:32

I think that is a wonderful name for it as it so apt. looking forward to seeing it.

Eileen x

Thread: Submit your event listing here
22/05/2019 10:20:26

County: East Yorkshire

Saturday 25th May

Friendship quilters coffee morning

Walkington Village Hall 40 Little Weighton Road, Beverley HU17 8SP

10.00 am to 1.00 pm

Exhibition of work, sales table, raffle etc.

Thread: Chat
21/05/2019 21:51:48

Thanks Carol, several of the ladies in my quilting group have also noticed it. It was lovely to get the batik fat quarters but as yet I don't know what I will do with them.

Eileen

x

15/05/2019 19:32:50

Just seen my June copy and I now have answers to 2 things. Firstly, what Rosemary was alluding too. Lovely and creative projects to try, thanks Rosemary. Secondly a couple of weeks ago I received a bundle of batik fabrics from P&Q with a thank you note from Helen Kent [assistant editor]. I was perplexed then thought perhaps I'd won one of the give a ways. Mystery solved today. My Watersmeet bargello quilt is in the 'Your quilting news' section page 95.

Lots of lovely projects in this month's mag. thanks team. E

Eileen

x

10/05/2019 09:41:08

Yes I am still sewing, at the moment I am making a table runner as a wedding present for a friend. Once it has gone to the happy couple I will post a photo. I am also thinking about sewing some summer clothes soon.

Eileen

x

Thread: searching for fabric
05/05/2019 12:52:33

sorry I didn't make my self clear , I am appliqueing the lion, initials, banner with embroidered motto. So that's why I was after the fabric to make the lion.

the wedding is mid June so I have a few weeks yet. The background is beige and I have plenty of blues and beiges to make the wedding ring blocks for either end. That is the colour scheme my friend wants for them.

I know the fabrics you mean so I will have a better look at them. Thanks for the help Rosemary.

04/05/2019 21:32:38

I have been asked to make a wedding present by a friend. The centre is to be a coat of arms with a gold/gilt lion. Does any one know of a supplier of this fabric or am I better using a golden coloured fabric and using gold thread to highlight features. the lion is about 5" tall.

Also I have seen a fabric in a book that has 2 [wedding] rings intertwined and this would be ideal for the wedding ring blocks that I am considering for the runner.

thanks in advance

Eileen xx

Thread: Rainbow quilt
25/04/2019 15:52:40

I am at the point of trimming and then binding the quilt. Then it is finished.

14/04/2019 13:40:52

I have now sandwiched all the blocks and am starting to do some quilting. Each one takes about 40 minutes to do. Nothing too elaborate as I personally find very close quilting makes the quilt not very yielding when used on a bed.

Photos to follow shortly.

04/04/2019 14:54:22

the last of the blocks are complete. I have cut out the wadding and all I have to do now is make the sandwiches, quilt them and then join them. did I say that was all??? oh and bind it. So far I am enjoying doing this quilt.

yellow block

yellow block

green block

greenblock

I have done lots of gardening as well as visiting daughters but I am keeping a tally of the time I am spending on this one.

Eileen xx

Thread: Chat
03/04/2019 17:02:39

I enjoyed it on the whole but was cross that they didn't penalise if the product wasn't finished off properly. I was pleased that Juliet won as she had the best finishes on her garments overall. as for weights and rotary cutter I'm with you there Margaret. They should penalise for not following instructions too. that made me equally frustrated. Dare I say I don't like Stuart and I don't remember who charlotte is.

I did prefer the other woman, cant remember her name though. My eldest girl did a uni work placement with Patrick and she said he was so helpful and generous of his time. sadly she didn't get offered a job.

I thought Joe was a brilliant foil to them all and his dress sense was so off the wall that he wasn't competing with the designs.

Eileen xx

Edited By Eileen Foster on 03/04/2019 17:03:25

Thread: Sewing machine for quilting
29/03/2019 22:04:43

message only just appeared for me too.

I have used many machines over the years and currently I am using a 13yr old Janome memory craft 9500. it suits me for dressmaking, embroidery and I have done all my patchwork & quilting on it too. The only extras I bought for it when I started patchwork 2 yrs ago were a walking foot and a 1/4" foot. it doesn't have a very big 'throat' the gap between the needle and the right hand side but I have managed to manipulate a king sized quilt through it. I tend to do outline quilting so not free motion.

but do try before you buy as it is an expensive outlay.

Eileen x

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
Janome
Crafting Live
Sewing Quarter
Sarik
SewAndSo
Search Press
bredons
C&T publishing
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues