By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Emma Kennedy

Here is a list of all the postings Emma Kennedy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Popular Patchwork Announcement
03/05/2018 18:05:46

Thanks all for your messages.

It is sad as it's a lovely magazine to edit. Unfortunately, while editing and working on a magazine within an editorial capacity can be hectic and busy to say the least, it is relatively straight forward. However sales and distribution are a lot more complicated and costly, making it harder and harder to survive in a challenging market - and in my experience closure is seldom a reflection of the quality of a magazine.

But on a brighter note, now you have met Joanna, I feel happy you are all in good hands and I'm sure you will continue to support and enjoy each other in the future.

Emma

x

Thread: March challenge
03/05/2018 11:12:00

Hi All,

Apologies for the late post to announce the winner of the Spring Block Challenge!

For those of you who have read my latest post in the General, you will hopefully appreciate its been a busy time.

But, without further ado, the winner is Brenda, for her beautiful floral 'orphan block'. Congratulations Brenda, please PM me your full address and I will send off the prize.

Sadly this will be the last of the competitions, but as always, I wish you all lots of future inspiration for your patchworking projects!

Emma x

Thread: Popular Patchwork Announcement
03/05/2018 10:27:37

Hello all,

It is with great sadness I need to inform you that the June issue of Popular patchwork will be our final issue. From the July issue we will be merging with our sister title, British Patchwork &Quilting (who we share this website with).

Many of you will already be familiar with Britsh Patchwork and Quilting, and the Editor Joanna Kent, who among other things, will be publishing many of the patterns and designs commissioned for Pop Patch over the next few months. Stuart Hillard will also be continuing with Stuarts Surgery and a Christmas mystery quilt.

Your subscriptions will automatically switch over to British Patchwork and quilting, but there will be a letter going out to all subscribers with the June issue of the magazine, explaining in detail what will happen next. Following this letter, should you have any further questions please email help@pp.secureorder.co.uk

With regards to the forum, it is my understanding that it will continue until further notice and any changes will be announced on the forum itself. I am sorry I don’t have any more information to offer you on this, but I will keep checking for you all, as I realise it plays an important role in your patchwork life!

Finally I would like to say a huge thank you to all of you, for your invaluable contributions to the website and in many cases the magazine, and of course for creating such a close community here on the forum.

We all offer you our very best wishes and hope you continue to enjoy your patchworking endeavours.

Emma and the Popular Patchwork team

x

10/04/2018 12:04:58

Margaret, that is too sweet for words - I love it! Is it your own design?

Lots of lovely blocks happening, and with still a few weeks to go yet, there's plenty of time to join in if you haven't already.

On a separate note, a big thanks to everyone who sent their February UFO images and words into Show and Tell- I've just seen the designed page, and it's great seeing your work in print!

Emma

Thread: Show and Tell 2018
22/03/2018 10:50:26

Hi Marian,

Love your bird...I thought they were so sweet, so pleased you agreed!

Emma

19/03/2018 16:04:23

Hi,

The deadline is the 30 April for this challenge, and you may enter more than one block if you wish.

Brenda, I think a theme would be a good idea if you are sending to Rosemary, but I would suggest perhaps more of a colour palette than a theme. As it's Spring based, I would suggest loosely keeping to greens, yellows and pinks as the main colours which all work well together. However within that, pops of other shades such as lilacs and blues will work too. If you aren't sending to Rosemary, then it's whichever colours you fancy.

How does that sound?

Emma

17/03/2018 15:58:05

Good afternoon ladies,

Thought I should post the March challenge, but as it's over half way through the month, I'm wondering whether it should be a March/April challenge. Let me know what you think when you've seen the post!

I would like to start 'With spring in the air...' but if like me you're indoors, hiding from the snow with a fire (and three sons and a husband glued to the Six Nations) then I doubt you'll be feeling too 'springlike'!

But, for this months challenge you will need to Think Spring! and create a spring inspired 12'' block. Whether it's through colour or design, the overall feel should reflect the lighter brighter days that are hopefully on their way.

You can of course do what you wish with the finished block, but Rosemary has very kindly offered to assemble the finished blocks and make a Linus quilt. But I will leave that to you all to decide.

So, let me know your thoughts on how long the challenge should last and I will finalise the deadline!

Emma x

Thread: February Challenge
08/03/2018 09:24:52

Keep on rolling!- and keep us posted!

Off to post your book, so should be with you very soon.

Emma

Thread: Knitting and Stitching Show, Olympia
05/03/2018 16:45:59

Hi all,

As I mentioned, I managed to get to the K&S show last week and as you can imagine it was pretty quiet. My heart went out to all the smaller companies, for whom a stand at a show is a great expense. Overall there seemed to be a stronger focus on knitting, which is always interesting as I used to edit Knitting magazine, so it was nice to see some old faces. Having said that there were a few things definitely worth mentioning. One stand that stood out was a commemorative exhibition stand called WW1 Hearts with a fascinating story behind it. During WW1, fabric hearts filled with sawdust were given to wounded servicemen, to decorate and send back to their loved ones. Untangled threads have made 1,568 replica hearts - one heart to represent each day of WW1 all ready to decorate, with the ‘intention to highlight the benefits of Occupational Therapy and the power of craft, both to heal and to connect people.’ There were some beautiful hearts, both old and new on display. If you are interested in participating or just to have a look, check out their website **LINK**

We also caught up with designer Janet Clare, who is the subject of April issue Patchwork of my Life which was lovely. Her textiles and fabrics for Moda were on display, and great to see the detail up-close.

There were some interesting new companies too, one of which was a print company called Fashion Formula, who will print any design you like on any fabric quality. I loved this idea, as you can design your own fabric, and they will even put it in repeat for you too! www.fashion-formula.com It's a great idea, if you wanted to create something really personal. Even if it was just for a centre piece or something specific within an existing collection of fabrics.

As I mentioned, there was a lot of knitting, yarns and designers, but one designer who crosses over into patchwork was Prilly Lewis. She machine knits and felts to create a fabric which she then cuts up to patchwork, though she called it ‘inlay work’. Her blankets were absolutely lovely- and I wondered if anyone has ever done anything similar? I thought it might be fun to buy charity shop sweaters to felt and try something similar. Personally I wouldn’t be brave enough to hand knit, felt and chop up as an experiment! www.prillylewis.com

So, despite the general quietness, there was some lovely things to see and buy! I just hope the traders managed to sell enough to warrant the cost.

Emma

05/03/2018 16:33:51

And the winners are....

Good afternoon everyone. Well as promised it’s time to announce the winners. As much as I love a competition, I hate having to choose a winner. As you can all see the amount of work you have all finished, you know I’m not just saying this!

But, here goes:

For sheer volume I think you will agree Rosemary and Margaret take this prize. Yes, I’m changing the rules and giving two here as it’s too difficult to choose between you both…and all I can say is …and breathe! Not just so many projects, but all of them lovely too.

The next prize goes to Reenie. I think everyone will agree your Birthday Block quilt is stunning. From the colour palette – which is so considered and works beautifully, to the awesome quilting. It really is a gorgeous quilt! Well done!

The prizes are all books:

Margaret: Quilt-as-you-go, Made Vintage: By Jera Brandvig

Rosemary: Kaffe fassett’s Brilliant little patchwork cushions and pillows

Reenie: East meets West quilts, by Patricia Belyea

Please all PM me your addresses and I’ll pop them in the post to you.

And last but not least, I would just like to say Jayne, I LOVE your bunting. It’s absolutely adorable - well done for slipping it in at the last minute! Carol B, your Alphabet block quilt is so pretty and gentle- quite dreamy to look at, and Brenda, the Ricky Timms-esque quilt is amazing. Even more so given you didn’t have a pattern!

Thank you for all joining in and rising to the challenge. It’s so cool dipping in and out and seeing what you’re all producing. I’m busy thinking of the next competition now. Spring must be on its way, so will think of something with this in mind. Having said that, I’m open to suggestions, so please feel free to holler if you have an idea you would like to share.

Well done everyone, and have you all have a lovely week,

Emma x

PS I’m hoping you have all seen the BOM comp in the magazine? I’ve extended the deadline to the 29th April, so plenty of time! The full details are going up on the website this week and all the blocks are also on the website, if you missed them!

05/03/2018 16:29:11

Hi Sue,

I did manage to get home thank you. Julie Sheridan and I high-tailed it as the snow came in again on Friday afternoon, and had a fortuitous trip back to Brighton! We managed to jump on trains with seconds to spare and arrived home before the travel troubles started! I'm just putting a quick post about the show up in Chat if you're interested?

Emma

01/03/2018 12:07:58

Ladies,

I am truly blown away by the volume of your work, let alone the standard. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but you have certainly exceeded my expectations- let's put it that way! Just amazing- so well done all of you!

I am currently battling my way through the wind and snow to get to the K&S show at Olympia for the next couple of days, so will postpone announcing winners till Monday if that's OK?- feel free to add more if you wish.

If any of you are going to Olympia, though I suspect the snow will have put a lot of people off, do come and say hello! I'm there today and tomorrow morning weather permitting- though I may head back to Brighton in the morning if it's looking worse.

Keep warm!

Emma x

Thread: Chat
22/02/2018 08:34:34

Good morning Marian,

I have another 'missing quilt' request for you!

This one was forwarded to me from Facebook, and wondered if you could help?

Kathleen Mckirkle I have just subscribed again to P.P. I have been gone from you since 2012 but am back into quilting again. I wanted to do the Hearts All Around quilt for the second time, since after giving it to my daughter, I realise I wish I had kept it! I would love to do it again. I see on the back issues tab, it doesn't go back far enough since this was published as b.o.m. starting August 2011 ending in Dec. 2011. I really would like the printed version since I am technically challenged as far as printing off is concerned. Can anyone help me please. Thankyou for reading the long post.

Happy sleuthing!

Emma

20/02/2018 19:00:39

That's so helpful Marian.

I have just had a quick search and came across this website, which I am assuming is the same Ruth peel!.

www.ruthpeel.com/

She's very much a textile artist- there's some interesting work there.

Thanks again,

Emma

20/02/2018 10:52:23

Hi Marian,

Thanks so much for letting me know. I must admit I'm amazed anyone could go that far back, so that's great!

I'll pass it on to Sonia,

Emma

17/02/2018 10:15:39

Amazing work ladies and we are only half way through the month!

You are all beginning to put me to shame, and provide a daily reminder that I really do need to finish my sampler quilt, especially as it was the inspiration behind the decorating of our spare room!

Keep it up!

Emma x

07/02/2018 21:33:09

Happy belated birthday Carol, though I can't say it sounded too much fun!

Why not ease yourself back into sewing gently and join in with the February challenge?

smiley

Emma x

05/02/2018 12:13:43

Well, you certainly have your work cut out Rosemary. They're such a varied mix of projects, I bet you'll enjoy revisiting them!

Margaret, I love your quilt! It's so bright and cheerful. Will you keep it for yourself?

Emma

03/02/2018 09:03:14

Hi Tessa and Margaret,

Many thanks for trying, I thought it was a long shot to be able to find something from 1994!

Emma

02/02/2018 11:27:38

2009! that's pretty impressive Margaret! Why not post a finished pic to get the ball rolling?

Emma

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
The Cotton Patch
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
Janome
Sewing Quarter
C&T publishing
bredons
Sarik
Search Press
SewAndSo
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues