By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ros

Here is a list of all the postings Ros has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 2011 Birthday Club
30/07/2011 17:40:42
Hello Michele-Marie and welcome to the Forum.
The birthday club has been running since January and unfortunately is now closed to new members. We have new swaps starting all the time (fabric postcards, friendship blocks, etc) so please keep an eye open for these. Meanwhile Katy has been organising a monthly challenge for us, July was Mola month and August is landscape month! You are very welcome to join in with this. For more information check out the thread "August Journal Challenge".
Ros

(Sorry I've just noticed that Irene has answered your question!)

Thread: Designing Blocks
26/07/2011 07:41:39
Katy, your blocks are lovely - I especially like the sunflower which I thought could also be done as a 'liberated' block. It would make a great quilt - a field of sunflowers! Ros
Thread: Labels
26/07/2011 07:16:22
Thanks Sally-Ann, I enjoyed watching the video. I must confess that I am bad about labeling my work so I should try this! Ros
Thread: Chat
20/07/2011 23:54:05
Aude, Very best wishes for tomorrow and I hope it all goes well.
God bless, Ros x
Thread: July Journal Challenge - Mola patchwork
18/07/2011 09:59:04
Katy, Your mola is fantastic! Well done on finishing it.
I'm still stitching the first layer, but enjoying the challenge of making a turtle with blue, green and yellow. I wasn't sure what to do about an outline but seeing yours has given me a good idea (I have some narrow black bias which might work out).
Ros
Thread: Where can I get lucy cat fabric for Tote bag with a twist ?
16/07/2011 12:20:21
Irene, I had a quick browse on the web but no joy. It may be out of print.
Welcome to the forum!
Ros

Thread: Carol's Hexie Mini Quilt
16/07/2011 12:08:47
Carol, I really like your cheery mini quilt! Hexagons seem to be very popular at the moment and I love what you have done with yours. I think your fuzzy catepillar is cute too!!
Lovely to have you back, and pleased your hubby is on the mend.
Ros
Thread: 2011 Birthday Club
16/07/2011 12:00:48
Happy Birthday Juliet,

Have a lovely day!

Ros x

Thread: Designing Blocks
14/07/2011 17:08:28

Katy,
Here's my first attempt!
Using an A4 sheet of paper, which I squared up, and my coffee mat as a template, I drew the beach hut. The sun is a quarter of my coffee mug and the rest is just scribblings which I did with a pencil and then inked over with pen.

(the pattern is supposed to be A4 but it got squished when I uploaded it!  To view it properly you will need to click on the picture - sorry).

Then I had a lovely time going through my stash of bits and pieces and 'made' a block in about 5 minutes! The only bits I cut were the sun and the boats - everything else I just overlaid to take the photo.

If i was going to make this up I would probably use machine applique (Poppy Treffrey style) and possibly make it into a cushion. I'd use a dark thread, and perhaps a button for the beach hut door handle.

That was fun!

Ros

Edited By Ros on 14/07/2011 17:10:04

14/07/2011 07:26:00
Hi Katy,
That sounds a lot of fun!
When I'm looking for ideas for applique blocks (and also for my church banners) I spend a lot of time looking over clip art. It is excellent for simple sewable shapes which have been drawn by artists. I also tend to keep old greetings cards which have good artwork and colour schemes - they are excellent sources of images and inspiration.
I'm sure I can come up with something for "summer".
Ros

Thread: Underground Railroad Sampler
08/07/2011 21:54:00

Well Tessa, I managed it this evening after all!
Quite a lot of trimming needed with this one, if you follow the Eleanor Burns method, but comes out beautifully square if you have the patience.
Ros

08/07/2011 20:08:14
Hi Tessa,
After two very busy weeks, I've finally managed to cut out my flying geese squares ready to sew later on (or tomorrow).
End of term, music prep and exams and lots of taxi-ing, but now the holidays are here I hope to have some time for myself!
Ros x

Thread: Postcard Swap 2011
06/07/2011 10:40:14

Thank you Jackie for my Olympic postcard. I always enjoy watching gymnastics and particularly the swimming.
Ros

29/06/2011 08:16:54
Well done Tessa, its looking great!
If you wanted to do more you could add some embroidery stitches or even ordinary applique - both these techniques are in traditional Mola.

Thread: ONLINE KWILT SHOW 2011
26/06/2011 14:18:29
Jan, Great idea! I have uploaded some photos, not strictly quilts but pretty all the same, of items I have made this year but not shown before on the Forum.
Ros
What a glorious day for the middle of summer!!

24/06/2011 12:02:41
After dropping my son off at college this morning I 'had' to drive past Lady Sew & Sews in Marlow!!

They have two shelves of every colour plain fabric for £6 a metre (£1.95 for P&P if you order from the website). I bought myself a minimum cut of turquoise, green, yellow and orange for my mola fish for just £6.
Here's the link if you are interested:

Edited By Ros on 24/06/2011 12:05:50

23/06/2011 13:09:31
Hello Katy,
This sounds like an exciting project, and I'm on board for this one!
I enjoyed the video and I'm thinking I'd like to try a fish for starters. Perhaps just two, maybe three at a push, layers of fabric for the first attempt!
Thank you so much for organising this.
Ros x
Thread: New techniques and challenges
21/06/2011 22:02:59
Thanks Katy, that is a lovely suggestion. I rather like the sound of the mola applique! But I will be happy to go along with what you decide.
Ros
Thread: Postcard Swap 2011
20/06/2011 10:08:05

Thank you Rosemary for your June postcard - what a delicious idea.
It survived the postal system very well. It was very brave of you to send it naked!
Ros

Edited By Ros on 20/06/2011 10:13:56

Thread: Book Trail
19/06/2011 12:46:58
Hello Marion,
Could you add me to the list please.
Ros
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues

Shopping Partners