By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ros

Here is a list of all the postings Ros has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Church Banners
02/12/2008 18:24:00

Hi Tess,

Your banner sounds quite involved - but it is something you can't rush if it is to hang for a long time.  Look forward to seeing it!

Don't know if you got a chance to check out the web-site I mentioned as there are stoles on that too.  For a general purpose stole (green, white/gold?)I would choose something like: bread & wine,  cross(es), or maybe he has his own preference as it can be quite a personal item.  

Have fun!

Ros 

Thread: Mom's Apple Pies
02/12/2008 10:22:00

Delicious!!!

Ros

Thread: Batik Swap!
02/12/2008 10:17:00

Tess,

PS Check out this website: www.church-textiles.co.uk - you'll love it!

Ros

02/12/2008 10:16:00

Tess,

PS Check out this website: www.church.textiles.co.uk - you'll love it!

Ros

02/12/2008 10:13:00

Hi Tess,

Sounds like a large banner you have there!

The way I make mine (8' x 3' so not quite as long as yours) is very simply.  I have one layer only of cotton gaberdine (heavy duty) which I hem on both sides with deep hems top and bottom to put wooden poles.  I use Word to design the lettering (I love using different fonts, Papyrus and Churchscript are favourites) then I enlarge this on the photocopier (600% at least) and cut the letters out using lots of Heat 'n Bond and brightly coloured satin.  I will make any artwork the same way, in layers.  Then off to the church where they have a very large table in the library which is just the right size to lay the whole thing out.  Set it out and then iron on pieces on the table.  No sewing required and the results are always stunning.  The key to success is the words rather than the picture.  We always light a candle and pray!  I have just put up the advent banners so will put a picture in the gallery later on for you to see. 

Ros

01/12/2008 02:51:00

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the tip on Mistyfuse - I will give it a try.  I checked out suppliers and notice that Rainbow Silks stock it. 

Its also good to know how to get rid of Bondaweb off the ironing board as I seem to get it everywhere!  I use it a lot to make banners for our church so its all over their ironing board too!

Ros

Thread: 13 postcards.jpg
28/11/2008 21:18:00

Hi Cath,

I have bought cello (celophane) envelopes from the stationers and art shop - sold for covering home crafted greetings cards.  They are really cheap (£1.50ish/20 for the small size).  I have used them to put home-made lavender bags in to keep the smell.

Ros

Thread: Postcard swap
28/11/2008 17:54:00

Hi Katy,

Have been trying to upload Fiona's postcard to the Gallery, but it hasn't appeared yet - can you help?

Ros

Thread: Sewing Table's
28/11/2008 13:38:00

Hi Maggie,

I have a Horn sewing table (the smallest one) which is great - but as I spend so much of my time sewing the only time its gets folded away is when we have visitors!  The storage is really spacious and useful and when the leaf is opened the space behind is good for hiding things you don't want people to see (latest purchases, etc!)  The flat surface is really good for quilting, but it can be a bit fiddly to change the spool as that's under the table (mine has a little window).   There's a shop in Watford which sells good second hand tables (Sewfine 01923-253459).

Ros

28/11/2008 12:57:00

Hi Fiona,

Just come home to find your lovely postcard waiting for me on the mat!  Thank you so much.  Its wonderful having a little piece of art made especially for you!! 

I hope you have a lovely time in Oz - are you going for Xmas?

Ros

27/11/2008 18:23:00

Hi Tessa,

I'm going with a simple pattern too - have chosen Japanese Garden from Quilters Cache (thanks for recommending that website - its wonderful).  Will make a trial square out of something else before I cut into my lovely new fabric.

Hi Angela,

Your art quilt sounds lovely - look forward to seeing how it all comes together.

Ros

27/11/2008 10:57:00

Hi Katy,

Just got mine too!  Thank you!

Ros

Thread: 13 postcards.jpg
20/11/2008 18:16:00

Angela,

They are beautiful!!!!

Ros

16/11/2008 17:51:00

Hi Tessa,

Thanks for the pointer to Quilter's Cache - I've really enjoyed browsing this site on and off today and have LOADS of ideas - but I'm not very good at making up my mind  (Gemini) so I might just have to pick one at random! 

Hi Katy,

Thanks for the really useful information about post online.  We have a postbox at the end of the road but we're always running out of stamps (hubby buys them, I use them, then when he needs them we have a bit of a problem!)

Ros

13/11/2008 10:46:00

Hi

Have managed to get through the awesome task of choosing my fabric and I'm about the cut into it.  I think I might just cut a tad more than 10" in case my cutting is a bit wonky!  Are we starching the fabric?  If so, what do you all use?  I was thinking of using an aerosol spray but find that on dark fabric I sometimes get a white mist.  Does this matter?  I guess it washes out?

Ros

12/11/2008 15:40:00

Hi,

I've just had a quick shopping trip for my batik, and it was just too difficult to choose from all the lovely designs.  I was also confused as to whether I should get a patterned or plain one.  Any advice?

Ros

Thread: DSCN2124.jpg
08/11/2008 18:00:00

Thanks for your lovely comments!

Good luck with yours!

God bless,

Ros

Thread: Im New
08/11/2008 17:56:00

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the welcome. 

Just got back from the quilt exhibition in Stoke Poges.  Used my new mobile/camera to take lots of photos of things I liked and which I would like to have the time to make (I normally scribble things on scraps of paper then either lose them or wonder why on earth I was interested in the first place).  Need DH to load them onto computer now so I can do something with them.  

Look forward to chatting more,

God bless, Ros

08/11/2008 13:07:00

Hi everyone,

I'm new too!  Thought I'd just say hello.  I've started quilting a few years ago, but a busy life took over for a while and my creativity had to be put on hold.  Now I find myself with a bit of time to spare since my eldest went off the uni last year.  I just joined the postcard swap, and what fun it was making my first card!

I'm off to a quilt show in Stoke Poges this afternoon (see Events) with a non-quilting friend, so that should be good fun too.

God bless,

Ros

08/11/2008 12:06:00

Hi Cath,

Glad you liked your postcard!  I got the idea from a birthday card and thought it was just the right cheery sort of thing I wanted to put on my card.  Once I started it I couldn't stop, then I just had to put it in the post.  I did have a bit of a problem at the post office - the jobsworth behind the counter said he would be breaking rules if he hand stamped my stamp!  Though he did give in eventually!

In case you're interested as to how I made mine:

I sewed everything onto a piece of medium weight vilene then attached it to the pelmet vilene with a zig-zag edge.  This kept the thickness of the card down and made a nice neat finish.   I then used a permanent laundry marker to write on the back.

Ros

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues

Shopping Partners