By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jayne

Here is a list of all the postings Jayne has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Easter Bunting
18/03/2018 20:18:25

Thank you Carol It's worked, I shall have a play.

Jayne x

Thread: International Quilting weekend 2018
18/03/2018 14:52:08

I love your panda quilt Rosemary, they look so cute.

And I agree Bargello always looks so good but I'm frightened from even trying.

Jayne x

Thread: Easter Bunting
18/03/2018 14:49:41

I've gone to the designers page and it's closed for maintenance, I've gone to the April 2018 link and the URL (?) doesn't work, I get an "Oops" page.

It's not even that I desperately need to make this design, but, after my winge last month, which Emma replied off topic, I am beginning to feel that the publisher is no respecter of loyalty, There are the competitions on the website, where all the freebies are listed and then I need a code for some that is published in the P&Q magazine, but there is no code for the PP only comps.

Although I'll stay a member on the forum, I'll not be renewing my print subscription to what I feel is a sinking ship.

Jayne x

17/03/2018 13:54:24

Thank you for your comments ladies, I shall what happens this next quarter and I'll probably cancel my subscription, pennies are tight at the moment so it gives me less to worry about, I just hope that I will still be able to access my digital copies on my tablet.

Jayne x

16/03/2018 21:00:08

I saw this as one of the 3 featured items on the top banner, and thought it would be nice to make for Easter. Another project that I can't make because I buy the WRONG magazine, this doesn't encourage me to buy BP&Q it only makes me cross that PP doesn't give it's old customers any respect for the loyalty that subscription brings.

So now I will go to the newsagents, if there are any local that stock both of them, and make the decision over if I will buy either of them for any projects that are in them, if not I won't buy anything just put the money towards more fabric.

Jayne x

Thread: International Quilting weekend 2018
14/03/2018 19:42:53

Back 2013, Sylvia and I 'skyped' as we sewed, it was great chatting away as we stitched. I was very very new to quilting then and have sewn many stitches since.

Jayne x

Thread: Chat
13/03/2018 11:03:23

Thank you Carol, it's good to know they're keeping well.

Jayne xxx

07/03/2018 19:22:16

Rosemary would it be a good idea to copy these into another thread? They would then be available for reference by one and all.

Jayne x

07/03/2018 19:06:42

Hi Rosemary,

I have FOUR that are my 'go to' bindings. it depends on time and the health of my hands...

1, Like Margaret, 2 1/2" wide strip (Not Bias) folded in half, sew to the right side with mitred corners, bring to the front and slip stitch down.

2. 2 1/2" strip folded in half, machine to the back of the quilt, again with mitred corners, and machined to the front with a leaf pattern fancy stitch.

3. I also like a flange binding that's 2 strips of fabric 1 1/4" main colour and 1 3/4" high light colour, then finish as per #1.

4. If I'm working with a fleece backing I make it 2" wider all round, cut off the corners of the fleece. and stitch the cut edges together, then bring the fleece to the front and stitch down with a zigzag to catch the edge down. Jenny Doan has a good tutorial of this.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtXmuARqg38

20170901 - grenfell #2.jpg

I just like to mix it up a bit.

Edited By Jayne on 07/03/2018 19:20:27

Edited By Jayne on 07/03/2018 19:26:14

Thread: Show and Tell 2018
05/03/2018 08:18:01

Another bad night's sleep and I have a card for my mom for next Sunday. I'm into Redwork and Postcards at the moment so why not combine the techniques into one.

20180305 - mothers day card - redwork.jpg

Here in the Black Country we say mom, although my cousin who lives only 40 miles away says mum.

Jayne x

Thread: February Challenge
04/03/2018 12:00:28

20180228 - 12 days of christmas bunting.jpgWell thanks to Olympia I managed to sneak in a UFO at the end. My 12 days of Christmas Bunting a Mandy Shaw design that I started in January 2017, I got as far as the redwork, which quilted the flags at the same time. As my face fabric frayed a lot I had cut them bigger with the aim to trim them, but I was too scared to in case they were off centre. so they were put away until I plucked up the courage, thank you Emma.

12 days of christmas 1.jpg

04/03/2018 11:40:30

Thank you Sylvia and Margaret, as they "...and there's more..."

The bunting I started Jan last year, but after the quilting, I got scared of trimming them square and ruining it, so they got left, after a bleak Christmas I decided enough was enough so I got on with it, Trimmed, Bound, Strung and Buttons all done.

And a "Supper set" made with the fabric I bought in Sarlat last year when we went to visit our Margaret / Winnie and her DH. Bowl cosies (microwaveable), coasters and bread basket that fastens with poppers to fit in the drawer better.20180228 - supper set fabric from sarlat.jpg

Jayne x

20180228 - 12 days of christmas bunting.jpg

28/02/2018 20:47:30

Thank you Eileen, Last year I was part of the "Quilts for Grenfell Tower" Facebook group, collectively we made 1111 quilts, (no it's not a typo - 1111) for the people affected by the fire. We decided to stay together and do some more good. This year to avoid distribution nightmares we have sewn to benefit our local area. The challenge was to make one stocking per month throughout the year and find a local good cause. Mine and Suzanne's are going to two local churches where the congregation will fill them with goodies for worthy families at Christmas.

If anyone is interested in joining the challenge you can find more details on Facebook "GT Quilters".

Jayne x

28/02/2018 20:26:56

Well I still haven't had time to work on any of my UFOs but I did get time to make a little something to decorate the house for St David's Day just for DH.

20180228 - daffodil wall hanging.jpg

Thread: February Challenge
26/02/2018 14:48:10

Wow Margaret, that is lovely and such a simple but effective way to use HST, I might just be copying your idea for a couple of charity quilts I'm planning.

Jayne x

17/02/2018 16:07:12

They're all lovely Margaret, it would be hard to choose my favourite. What a difference a dark sashing makes?

Jayne x

15/02/2018 16:48:24

Thank you Reenie, I shall give it a look.

Jayne x

14/02/2018 21:56:04

Reenie, I just love the colours and the pattern, can I ask what the block is called please?

Jayne x

14/02/2018 20:59:01

I've really found my sewing mojo these days.... I made one of the scottie dog stockings a couple of weeks ago, but this afternoon my friend called in for a few hours and we made another one each for two local church outreach projects.

20180214- gt quilters stocking february 2nd and 3rd.jpg

13/02/2018 19:59:22

Another little make from my stash.

We have a young visitor staying with us, although he is Canadian his heritage is Serbian and Portuguese. So I made this small wall hanging incorporating all three flags for his mom. It's just under 12" square.

Jayne x

20180212-maple leaf wall hanging.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
The Cotton Patch
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues